Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Basic Waffles


I finally bought a waffle iron!  Well, if I don't look at brand and read at the reviews, I can get a waffle iron for fairly cheap here.  You can call it my impulse buying.  My girls like to have waffle for breakfast but the frozen ones in the supermarket have partially hydrogenated oil in them even thought they were listed as zero trans fat.  So, I stopped buying frozen waffles a while back.  Thus, the best way for me is to make my own waffle using the ingredients I know and serve it to my girls.  I found the bellow recipe at allrecipes.com and modified it a little to include more sugar and added honey so that my girls can eat the waffle as is.  No extra spread of butter or syrup needed.  I am going to play with this recipe more to create a healthier version like using whole wheat flour or oatmeal flour, etc.

As you can see, I already played with this basic recipe to add some chocolate chips.   Last batch, I added some cocoa powder as well.  This waffle is slight crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.  It crisp up more when toast in the toaster.  Homemade is definitely the best way to go!




Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com with slight modification.  For my waffle size, it yields 12 pieces.

Ingredients:
2 eggs 
(A) 
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoons honey (optional)
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

(B)
  • Chocolate chips as needed

Method:
1.  Preheat waffle iron.  Beat eggs in a large bowl with hand beater until fluffy.  Add in (A) and hand beat until smooth.  Or you can blend it in a blender until smooth.
2.  Spray preheated waffle iron with butter flavored cooking spray.  Use a ladle to drop some of the mix onto the hot iron.  Sprinkle with some chocolate chips (try to spread it even) and add a little more mix on top.  Cover and cook until golden brown.  How long to cook depends on the waffle iron you used, just keep watch.  Serve hot.

3.  Put the leftover in the freezer bag and freeze for whenever.  Just toast it in the toaster until crispy and brown.  Since I put the frozen one straight from the freezer to the toaster, I had to toast it 2 times, one to defroze and the next to crisp.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

wawawa i want waffle iron! booohooo but i hv no more space in my kitchen T_T

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

good for you, from now onwards you can prepare difference flavours of waffles for your family.

Pete said...

Waffles look good and yummy! Love to eat them with a little butter! mmmm!

Christina Kim said...

Awww, you're just the wonderful mother who's just so great in the first place to make waffles for your kids and I am sure they won't mind what the brand of your waffles-maker is =D

Min said...

I like eating waffle also, especially with peanut butter, so yummy. I still couldn't find a waffle toaster at my place.

busygran said...

Great for breakfast! May I have butter and honey on mine?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Rita, actually waffle iron doesn't take up a lot of space as it fold up and slim.

Yes yes Sonia. I am happily playing and experimenting with the recipe now. :)

Thanks Pete.

Haha Christy, you betcha. They don't mind at all, they are just happy that I bought one. :D

Min, I just used a bread toaster but the wider version. It can toast bread, bagel and waffle. :)

Sure busygran, anything you wish.

Pearl said...

those waffles look perfect!

Belinda @zomppa said...

A classic. I can already hear your brain turning, figuring out what to make next!

pigpigscorner said...

I was just thinking if i should get one!

Unknown said...

One day I will get a waffle maker. Yours looks great.

tigerfish said...

My kitchen so small - even want to buy a waffle iron also no space for it :O

Baking Fiend said...

Your recipe is definately much simplier in process compared to mine. will give this a try soon!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Pearl, wow you are back!

Wow Belinda, you know me so well. Hehehe... :)

Pigpig, not a bad idea to get one actually, no regret here. :)

Thanks Joy.

Tigerfish, actually it doesn't require a lot of space, it folds and store standing up. ;)

Hope you like it too baking fiend.

Babe_KL said...

i would love to get one of this waffle iron but am so afraid it will end up sitting looking pretty on the counter :p

Cooking Gallery said...

I love waffles especially with powdered sugar. I normally have them at Christmas.

T said...

I make waffles all the time too. You can try substituting whole wheat flour for some of the flour.I cannot tell the difference, myself.

Another thing I always include in my waffle is banana. Just sliced them, and you won't even need to eat the waffles with maple syrup or other sweetener. It's great for on-the-go breakfast on weekday.

One thing about adding banana, is that it would get sticky on the waffle iron. To remove the stickiness, simply make a batch of plain waffle which would absorb the stickiness.

Big Boys Oven said...

I love looking at them but have yet to get myself making one! :0

Noob Cook said...

your waffles are very cute! I've always wanted to get a waffles iron but my wishlist is endless while my kitchen space is so tight now :(

The Delta Pastries said...

I've never thought to add cocoa powder. What a good idea! I wonder how matcha waffles would be...

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I was thinking to buy a waffle pan too but then again I always buy this and that but hardy use and all these stuff took most of the space up in my kitchen..I like my waffle with cinnamon flavor!!