Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chinese Water Chestnut Cake


My friend gave me three packets of water chestnut flour recently.  I wanted to try this Chinese water chestnut cake for a long time and finally I got my chance.  The above is my Chinese water chestnut cake without the bits of chestnuts.  I didn't have the water chestnuts but decided to make it anyway.  It turned out pretty good I think, tasted like cold jelly straight from the refrigerator.  I will certainly play with this recipe in the future because I saw others people water chestnut cake in yellow color instead of white.


This cake is actually served during Chinese Lunar New Year by Chinese, depended on where they are located.  I don't think we Malaysian eat this during Chinese New Year.  I pan-fried this with the equal mixture of flour: rice flour.  The batter was really crispy!







This recipe is graciously shared by Florence.  I changed it a little bit.

Ingredients:
250g water chestnut flour (馬碲粉)
500ml water
600g fresh water chestnut (I omitted this)
750ml water
300g - 400g rock sugar/golden rock sugar (I used 400g)

Method:
1. Wash fresh water chestnut thoroughly and cut or crush them into your desired size. (I omitted this step)
2. Mix water chestnut flour with 500ml water and strain for use later.
3. Cook rock sugar with 750ml water till sugar dissolve. Add in the crushed chestnut pieces.
4. Pour water chestnut mixture into rock sugar solution and keep stirring until thicken. (Keep stirring until it turned transparent and gluey)
5. Pour the thicken chestnut mixture into a well greased 8 inch pan.
6. Steam on high heat for 30 minutes.

Note:  You have to let it cool in room temperature and then let it set in the refrigerator.  It will harden and turned jelly like after that.

12 comments:

The Cooking Ninja said...

Interesting. Never had this before. I only eat new year cake. :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

I think my parents would love this. I have to admit - I'm a bit nervous about it as I'm not usually a water chestnut fan. You may be the one to convert me.

noobcook said...

yum yum! reminds me a bit of nian gao

busygran said...

Your fried chestnut cake reminds me of the nian gao which is also fried the same way. Er, does it have the same texture as nian gao?

tigerfish said...

I think pan-frying the chestnut cake is a good idea. Reminds me of fried nian gao during CNY.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I like this cake eaten in cold, very cool and refreshing.

CRIZ LAI said...

Wow! This is one of my favorite for dim sum. I usually like mine slightly pan fried instead of using flour.

For the coloring... try adjust with some raw sugar for the slight brownish effect or add in some custard powder for getting the yellow version.

Actually I was surprised you can't get any water chestnut there as they do come in cans in any Asian stores.

http://www.crizfood.com/

astheroshe said...

I have never heard of this cake.. Thanks for sharing.. Now i have to do some research!

daphne said...

I made this once and FAILED terribly..seeing yours made me want to do it again!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Cooking Ninja, it was my first too, quite interesting.

Belinda, hmmm...if you are not a fan of water chestnut, then I don't know because it has the water chestnut taste in it.

Noobcook, the pan-fried version ya.

Busygran, it's totally different from nian gao, when eaten cold, it tasted like jelly, when pan-fried it has a crispy coating on the outside, quite interesting.

Tigerfish, during summer, I like it when eaten cold, refreshing!

I agreed with you Sonia, eaten it cold actually quite refreshing.

Cris, I know I can get the canned water chestnut at the Asian store or the supermarket Asian aisle, just that when I was making this, I didn't have one stocked in my pantry, so I omitted it.

Ok Astheroshe.

Daphne, I think the previous instruction was not as clear so it was easier to make mistake. I think my added on instruction and guide were helped in a good way.

pigpigscorner said...

Water chestnut flour?! I've never heard of that before, sounds really interesting.

Bits said...

Looks so refreshing! A must try recipe!