I liked the mixed vegetable side dish that was offered at Texas Roadhouse. It was really simple and crunchy. So, I tried to create it at home using the microwave. You can steam yours if you like but for me microwave is easier in this easy dish. You can omit the salt if you use salted butter and also you can replace the butter with extra virgin olive oil. When you use olive oil, just make sure you stir and mix the broccoli well with your hands before you put it in the microwave.
This is one easy side dish to serve with your American dinner. I served with my Chinese dinner with no problem too. One healthy meal can be grilled chicken with this broccoli, baked sweet potato wedges and a piece of toasted whole wheat bread.
- Broccoli crowns, washed and cut, about 3-4 cups
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into thin slices (you can add more if you like)
- Sprinkle of sea salt/ kosher salt
- Touch of black pepper
- Dashes of dried thyme
- Dashes of garlic powder
1. In a microwave safe plate or dinner plate, place the broccoli on top. Add slices of butter all over it. Sprinkle with some salt to taste, touch of black pepper and some dried thyme and garlic powder.
2. Microwave for 4-5 minutes or according to microwave direction or until the butter is melted and the broccoli is soften but still crunchy.
3. When you take out of the microwave, give it a quick stir to mix well with the butter sauce. Season to taste with salt if needed.
Note: If you use salted butter, you can probably omit the salt or cut down on the salt.