I got this recipe inspiration from Nasi Lemak Lover. This soup is new to me as I haven't cooked any soup with fruit before. I know people used papaya, apple, watermelon skin and pear to boil soup but I never tried making it myself. I used pear because I had one that had been sitting in my refrigerator for a long time and had turned soft. What better way than to throw it in soup eh? This soup turned out to be very sweet and really nice to drink. Strangely Evy didn't like it but the rest of us drank it clean.
Two days later, I tried it with apple (added Goji berries) and it was equally sweet and delicious. This soup became Edda favorite as she was the one requested for it. But Evy won't touch hers at all, I wonder why as this soup was really sweet.
- 1 pear, peeled and cut
- 1/4 cup Chinese barley, or barley
- 2 honey dates
- 10 red dates
- 1 chicken breast bone or 2 drumsticks or 1 chopped chicken thigh
- 1000ml water
- salt to taste
1. In a saucepan, add in water and chicken. Bring it to boil. When boiling, dish out any impurity that you can see.
2. Then, add barley, honey dates, red dates and pear. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for an hour or so.
3. Lastly season to taste with a little salt. This soup is very sweet.