Thursday, December 25, 2008

Tropical Biscotti



My final cookie baked for this year. Next year I will be starting on Chinese New Year cookies, hard to believe it is just a month away. Hereby wishing all my readers a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to those who don't celebrate it. Oh, in case you are wondering, I cut my biscotti in half for easy storage.

I also had a minor accident two days ago. Believe it or not, I accidentally cut my left index finger (cut into half of my nail) and my left thumb while chopping a cooked chicken into smaller pieces. That was pretty scary especially I used my biggest and sharpest cleaver at home. Of course some screaming and blooding scenes followed and then rushed to an urgent care facility to see if any stitches needed. Luckily no stitches required because they could not possibly stitch through my nail, just some sterilized strips and bandages for now. But half of my nail will probably fall off in due time (that was too scary and painful to imagine and I am too afraid to take off my bandage!). Needless to say, with my left index finger and thumb bandage, working in the kitchen has been slow and quite inconvenient. I made those biscotti prior to the accident that morning.





Ingredients:

(A)

1/2 cup canola oil

3 large eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

2 tsp. pure lemon extract

1 orange rind or 2 tangerine rinds


(B)

3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins

1 cup sweeten coconut flakes


Method:


1. Preheat oven to 375'F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, beat together (A) until well blended. Add in (B) and stir to form a dough. Divide dough in half and roll each roll into the length of the cookie sheet. Then move each roll to the cookie sheet and press down to 1/2 inch thickness.

3. Bake for 25 minutes or til golden brown. Remove to cool on wire rack. When it's cool enough to handle, slice each one crosswise into 1/2 inch slices with a serrated knife. Place the slices cut side up back to the cookie sheet and bake each side for a further 6 minutes. Remove to cool on wire rack. Store in an air-tight container.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

ching

so sorry about the accident. i thought i was the accident prone one. anyway, please be careful. Too many ppl depend on all your fingers.

merry christmas and a happy new year

ICook4Fun said...

So sorry to hear about your mishap in the kitchen. Hope you will be well soon. Wishing you and your family Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

Beachlover said...

oh no!! what a bummer! I know when we work in the kitchen,sometimes we can't except the accident.but becareful!!Hope you're better and well..I keep saying I wanna to try biscotti but still ...*sigh*..maybe I will try b4 2008!! lol! Happy Holiday to you and your family!!

Retno Prihadana said...

Have a nice holiday for you and family. Hmmm... imagine eating biscotti with a cup of tea or coffee with you :))

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Hope you are going to feel better soon. Maybe it's time for your hubby to take action in the kitchen and you can have some rest? Anyway, Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Lily, yeah very bad luck! :(

Thanks Gert. It's a bit hard to function in my kitchen but I can manage.

Thanks Beachlover. Bummer is so right! We all have to be careful in the kitchen.

Thanks Retno. You too!

Thanks Sock Peng.

Thanks Anon. My man only knows how to go for takeout when I told him I couldn't cook in the kitchen. :P

Chris said...

Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear about your fingers. I hope they heal soon. Take care!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Chris

CY said...

Oh dear! Hope you'll have a speedy recovery and back to your kitchen in no time!

Merry Christmas!

Cheers
CY

Edith said...

Oh gosh, Do take care. I had a pretty similar accident on my finger and now I get phobia with the big knives.

Have a Blessed Christmas and a Healthy year ahead.

Olga said...

How very creative! I like the idea of adding the coconut into biscotti!

Hope your finger is better: sounds scary.

Noob Cook said...

sorry to hear about your little mishap, I hope your finger heals soon! happy holidays to you and your family! :D

Anonymous said...

Yikes, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Happy Holidays.

Family First said...

Hope your lil finger gets well soon. Wishing you a blessed New Year and yeah .. looking forward to all your CNY cookies!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're healing well and had a nice holiday.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks guys!

Florence said...

Ching,
Do take care and be extra careful when using sharp cleaver or chopper.
Nice biscotti, would definitely love the aroma from the peels.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

tina said...

Ching

Hope your finger is healing well. Take care and a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Properous 2009!

Baking Fiend said...

oh no! hope you're better now. just reading yr post sent shivers down my spine!

lovely biscotti. :)

Big Boys Oven said...

awesome, so tropical as said!

Ning's Mummy said...

Hi,

Oh no, then what happen to the chicken? hehe.. just kidding.

So sorry to hear about the accident, I hope your fingers heals speedily.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Unknown said...

oh girl....i am sooo sorry to hear about this...

please take extra care and get well soon...hugs!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks all. Have to get use to work with two fingers bandaged for now as it's still painful when I accidentally touch those areas.

Cookie said...

sorry to hear of the mishap! Hope you have got over the shock (and pain)!

...cookie