Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tau Suan with Gula Melaka



I have some leftover Gula Melaka syrup from the Tang Yuen (glutinous rice balls) and whenever I have some leftover syrup, I will make another dessert to go with it. Gula Melaka is scarce here so throwing it away is a no no. So, having some green beans, mung beans or red beans in my pantry is just perfect for situation like this. *Sign* Don't we wish we have the luxury like our fellow bloggers in Malaysia or Singapore, then I would love to have some cut "You Tiao" (Chinese fried cruller) with my tau suan (mung beans dessert). For my tau suan recipe, click here.

I truly miss the salty ham chim peng with five spice powder, or sweet ham chim peng, the one that looks like 8 and the one with glutinous rice in the middle! When I go back, I love to visit the morning market for all these fried stuff, but then I would be attracted to the other kuih stalls, and then nasi lemak and so on. I get really greedy as I want to eat everything but I know I have to control myself because 10 pounds is the most I can gain. Our dilemma of going home, want to eat yet afraid to eat too much. (Sigh!)

14 comments:

Beachlover said...

I think I never heard or eat this dessert..Whenever I miss Malaysia food that I can't make or cook,I will just drive to my favourite Malaysian restaurant in NYC to get the foods eventhought it's 45 minutes or 35 miles each way drive! Btw Happy New Year to you and family!

Unknown said...

ching

i have yck, you should bring the lek tau suan over. Everytime we make this with my cooking buddies, i always forget to take a picture, therefore have no chance to post it until i/we make it again.

MamaElla said...

Hi..I love ham chim peng..even thou I can make it myself, but I still prefer at the stall in my places selling it quite well..tau suan is also very nice...look so sweet... !!

tigerfish said...

Happy 2009! Must be cold there. Nice warm bowl of tau suan :)

Big Boys Oven said...

looks good to me! Happy New Year to you, your hubby and two little princess, . . .from us both S&S!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Beachlover, I think this is more like a Singapore dessert. Hehe...

Lily, if we live closer to each other then it would be great huh?

MamaElla, but not very sweet, just nice because I don't like food that is too sweet or too salty. Yeah, I truly miss ham chin peng.

Thanks Tigerfish, yup it's cold!

Thanks S&S! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! Happy New Year!

teatea said...

hi little corner of mine

Can i check with you for your lemon cookies, one of the ingredients were 1/4 cup salt, and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.

May i know how much is it in grams because i want to try baking it, looks yummy.

Can i use fine sugar to substitue powdered sugar or are they the same?

Thanks in advance!
Happy New Year too!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Same to you Asianmommy.

Teatea, I don't think is 1/4 cup salt, should be 1/4 tsp. salt. I have a conversion chart link on my right hand panel. Look it up.

Retno Prihadana said...

I´ll add more ginger and just perfect for the cold winter :)). Happy New year Ching.

Indonesia Eats said...

I love gula melaka which we call gula jawa or gula merah in Indonesian.

happy new year

Sweet Jasmine said...

Hi, longing for the ham chim peng with this tau suan? I love ham chin peng too. Always buy a bagful home if happen to see any stall selling it. Happy new year to you and family.

Anonymous said...

I love Tau Suan - the problem with my household is I'm the only one eating it :( So naturally I don't cook it. :(

Noob Cook said...

What a creative use of leftovers which makes your tau suan tastes unique n delicious =D