Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sambal Asparagus with Shrimps



Showing a picture of my dinner few weeks ago. Asparagus was on sales again during the week of Thanksgiving and I always took the opportunity to buy the on sales vegetable. The usual way of cooking asparagus for Malaysian was with sambal chili. I decided to add some shrimps and carrot to make it more complete. I used the shrimp paste in chili oil and my own chili in oil for this dish. This recipe is similar to my Sambal Dried Shrimps Okra.

Or you can try the western version: Season the asparagus (just cut the hard bottom off) with some olive oil, salt and pepper (toast well) and baked in preheated 450'F oven for 15 minutes. Remember to line the baking pan with aluminum foil (heavy duty prefer) so that no washing required, just fold and throw. Very easy!

15 comments:

Indonesia Eats said...

Should stop by at your house. I'll bring my warmed rice :)

Anonymous said...

看到你这道菜,我很想问你:如何选asparagus?
我一直很想炒asparagus,每次看到都是有点黑点或者黄黄,都不知道到底哪一些该买??
通常你去哪里买?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha Indo-Eats.

Sock Peng,
I always buy my asparagus at King Sooper/Albertson when it was on sales. Look for the one that is green, firm and fresh looking. Normally these shops have fresh looking asparagus.

Pearl said...

that looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Looks very tasty. I love Sambal and your addition of asparagus balances out the color nicely:-)

Beachlover said...

I just bought 2 bundles asparagus,one in white at $1.45 a lb!!..Hmmm maybe I should make it like your dish !! Yummy!!

Retno Prihadana said...

Ahh..ching, I can smell the hot of sambal from here, you make me hungry!

@ GiGi House of Beauty said...

wow, look at the big shrimp!! so much tempting ah! i miss the shrimp from USA! no doubts it is frozen, but it is very clean and not smelly and it is very Q!

Unknown said...

this is just perfect with a cup of steamed white rice... :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Pearl.

Thanks Marc.

What a great buy beachlover! I have not seen white asparagus selling at this price here.

Hehe Retno.

Yup Gigi, I like the frozen shrimps here as well, cleaned for us and very QQ.

tigerfish said...

Looks very shiok!

Sweet Jasmine said...

Aiyoh! this looks so appetising. Cannot come here hungry...

SIG said...

I would love this so so much. Anything to do with prawns, asparagus and sambal. :P

Big Boys Oven said...

with this dish of yours I can have at least two plate of rice, you are so generous with those huge prawns!

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Looks so droolicious ! Yes there are endless options of cooking asparagus and very healthy too.