Monday, March 10, 2008

My Twist on Macaroni & Cheese



I was left with half a packet of cream cheese from making cream cheese bread. Thought of making cream cheese soup but I was out of milk. So, I put it in my macaroni & cheese! I was really happy with the result. Delicious!





Ingredients:

2 boxes of 7.25oz Kraft macaroni & cheese
4 oz Philadelphia cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 chicken breast, sliced
2 cups of mixed frozen vegetables, soften

Seasoning for chicken:
Poultry seasoning, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper

Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of water/milk
Dash of salt
2 Tbsp. butter, cubed
Bread crumbs

Method:

1. Cook the macaroni as directed by packet.

2. While boiling the macaroni, heat a saute pan, add in EV olive oil and chicken breast slices. Add in the seasoning and pan-fry until chicken is cooked. Add in the mixed vegetables and fry to mix well. Set aside.

3. Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and back to the pot. Then add 1/2 cup of water/milk and cream cheese, stir to melt the cream cheese. Add in the packets cheese that came in the box, stir to mix well. Add the chicken & veggies and a dash of salt/to taste, mix until incorporated.

4. Pour into a baking dish and top with bread crumbs and dollops of butter (from the 2 Tbsp.). Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 15 minutes.

18 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

sis, yesterday my kitchen on strike, so I had to cook a pack of macaroni cheese, added water and a bit of milk, tasted very delicious, so I guess yours should be fantastic! lol!

skoraq cooks said...

Mmmmm...looks very yummy...:-D

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Extra cheese for your mac and cheese. Yum!

daphne said...

yay! I did the same for some of my pasta bakes too! Adding the cream cheese seems to give it more flavour ya? Love the look of yours. Bet your kids love it!

Ling's Passion said...

I usually don't know what to do with leftover cream cheese. Now I have one option. TQ

Unknown said...

i kept seeing my favorite food floating around the foodie blog world...i totally love it! I always love mac & cheese...and this one looks great!

Sweet Jasmine said...

yummy...what a nice way of cooking macaroni cheese.....sometimes i had no idea wht to do with my left over cream cheese....

Indonesia Eats said...

This is a kind of food that my husband loves :)

Anonymous said...

This dish is certainly a hit for both my kids. They too love it a lot.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Ugh BBOven, why your kitchen on strike? LOL!

Thanks Jo. :)

Yes V, extra fat and calories too! :P

Thanks daphne. Yeah the kids and hubby loved it! Added a little Italian herbs flavor to it.

You're welcome Ling. Next time I would make the soup and give you another delicious option.

Thanks Rita. I don't like the plain mac & cheese, mine need to have the Extra! :P

Now you know right Sweet Jasmine? ;)

Hahaha Indonesia-Eats! Well one thing though, this kind of food is easy to prepare. ;)

Hi Sue, I think most kids like mac & cheese, not sure why?!

古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

wow...your blog really 'delicious'!!!
Wish i can try your foods one day!
kekekke.

ICook4Fun said...

Not only kids like this dish I like it too but only cook this once a while. Like you I will put lots of extra inside like olives, meat, peas etc...

Dwiana P said...

my husband loves this kind of food! and it is easy to cook too.

tigerfish said...

Aiya....another dish I can only see but cannot make....because no oven!!!! Aiya...only can drool....

Beachlover said...

oh!!My Mishu love macaroni and cheese!!.I guess every american kid love this dish. your dish look like lasagna version ..very creative!!:))

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh thank you JeromeFo. :)

Gert, another mac & cheese with extra lover! :)

Dwiana, this must be one of your hubby comfort food. ;)

Aiya tigerfish!! BUT! You can still make this just skip the bread crumbs and put in the oven step. :)

Thanks Beachlover. Yes, lots of American kids fancy this a lot and as an adult it became their comfort food. ;)

SIG said...

Wow, breadcrumbs. Now I know what to do with my leftover breadcrumbs :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

Excellent way to perk up the Kraft! It looks like a great week night dinner.