Thursday, September 20, 2007

Introducing: King Oyster Mushroom



Have you seen this in the Asian market and wondering what it is? It is called king oyster mushroom which is also referring to as almond abalone mushroom in China as when it is cooked, the texture is similar to that of abalone. I was told of this mushroom when shopping with Lily (she introduced me to a lot of things eh...hehe). She told me this is the fresh abalone mushroom (instead of canned) that we read about in the forum. I was like really and quickly grabbed one to try. Since that day, I have been buying this mushroom every time I was in an Asian market. I really like the meaty white steam as well as the cap as this mushroom really soaked up the flavor of the broth you cooked it in.



This is what I came out with. Just a simply stir-fry and then cooked it in a oyster sauce flavored broth and top on green veggie. So good man, even my hubby finished it all. I also stir-fry this mushroom with sliced chicken breasts for variation. If you spot this mushroom in the store next time, do give it a try ya! :)

14 comments:

Mandy said...

i love all sorts of mushroom! Will definitely keep a look out for this the next time I visit the Asian grocery store!

Anonymous said...

I think I have seen this but have not bought it to try yet. Is it also call trumpet mushroom? I thought I've seen this trumpet name too and your picture really looks like trumpet leh!
There was a time I kept buying bunashimeji mushrooms whenever I go to the Asian grocery. Then I stopped for a while.
Don't tell me the King Oyster gonna strike me soon?

Anonymous said...

I love this mushroom! Over here, the Korean Markets has better one's. They also have some already sliced (which I love to get ... especially eating hot pot!!)

BTW, have you tried it with fried eggs?? Just mince it, then lightly pan fry (sometimes with onions, sometimes with garlic, sometimes just plain), then add beaten eggs.

Yummy! My son likes this with rice!!

KellytheCulinarian said...

Those look delicious, I'm going to keep an eye out for these.

SIG said...

I am so hungry sitting here before breakfast and your dish makes my tummy rumble. Something so simple yet satisfying.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Wow! These are mushrooms with big stems and cute little hats! :)
Lovely dish!

daphne said...

I love mushrooms!!! I agree with u that oyster mushrooms are so versatile and they soaked up all the lovely sauces!! I did spot one packet last week but it wasn't fresh =( nevermind, I just have to keep looking! hehee

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Mandy,
Then you will probably like this!

Hi Tigerfish,
Yeah, it's also called king trumpet mushroom. Hehe, whether king oyster gonna strike you or not depends on how you like it.

Hi Tricia,
Yeah, I bought mine in a Korean supermarket. I love your idea of frying it with eggs, will try it next time! Thanks! :)

Hi Kelly,
Thanks! I hope you will like it too.

Hehe.. singairishgirl, sorry to make your tummy rumble!

Thanks V. Give it a try!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Daphne,
Good luck in finding the fresh one. By the way, this mushroom has longer shelve life in the refrigerator compared to other mushrooms.

Retno Prihadana said...

Yummm..I bet its taste so good. I love mushrooms.

Lia said...

very interesting, am never seen those mushroom, i wonder really delicious ;)

Big Boys Oven said...

Looks so strange and yet so delicious and simple. A real winner.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Retno, Lia & BBOven! :)

Anonymous said...

This is really a simple recipe which suits my tastebud. I've always stir-fry this type of vege with prawns or meat until I came across your recipe.