Thursday, April 07, 2005

Kuih Bunga/ Kuih Rose/ Honeycomb Cookies



This was the kuih bunga I made for this year CNY. I used Jo's crispy honeycomb recipe from jodelibakery.netfirms.com. I didn't get to eat much since my husband basically finished all that I had save for ourselves. I brought more than half to a friend's CNY potluck. My husband just ate it like a snack. Next time I would have to double the recipe.




Adaptation of Jo's recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

(A)
200ml concentrated coconut milk
1 egg
1/3 cup + 1 Tbp. sugar
50ml water
Pinch of salt

(B)
1 cup + 1 Tbp. all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup rice flour, sifted

(C)
3 tsp. Black plus 1 tsp. White sesame seeds

Oil for deep frying


METHOD:


1. Combine (A) in a mixing bowl. Whisk until sugar dissolves.

2. Add (B). Whisk to obtain a consistent batter. Add (C). Mix well.

3. Heat oil in a wok/deep fryer. Preheat mould in the hot oil.

4. When the oil is hot enough, dip mould into batter. Make sure batter coats only the bottom and sides of mould.

5. Place coated mould in hot oil. Shake to release honeycomb from mould. If required, use wooden chopsticks to help releasing. Fry until golden brown.

6. Leave to cool completely on wire racks. Store in air-tight container.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

good gracious..so pretty. Yes, I tried Jo's recipe too. needs to get used to doing it. mine had 'horns' when I first made it.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Gina! No idea what's up with the "horns" though, never accounter it. I added sesame seeds in my second batch, and it tasted more fragrant, can use black or white sesame seeds for contrast. Very yummy but my whole house smelled of deep-fry oil after. :(

Anonymous said...

hi hi,
wish to ask when u dip the mould into the batter.. will the batter slip and fall back into the batter instead of clinging into the mould? i did it, but when i dip the mould into the batter it slip back into the batter again instead of cling into the batter :(.. can help..
thnks
elaine

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Elaine,
Did you dip the mold into the hot oil first? Make sure the mold is hot before you dip into the batter. Another reason is maybe your mold is new and never been used before, thus not season enough. After you used the mold, don't wash it in soap, just clean it with water and wipe dry with paper towel and keep. Only then it will work better. I encountered the same problem when I first used the mold too.

Anonymous said...

hi,
yes the mould is hot coz the same of the mould is left behind in the batter. could be due to new, ophs i have wash the mould with soap already. will try again next time. thanks for you info :)

elaine

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome elaine.

Anonymous said...

hi sorry,
just wan to ask once i dip the hot mould inside the batter do i need to wait for a while then dip into the hot oil.. or i must act fast?
:p thnks
elaine

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Elaine,
I would wait for the batter to stick on the mold before I put it back in the hot oil again.

Anonymous said...

I love your baking... where did you buy the kuih bunga mold? I do not find any around PA.
Thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Anon, I bought my kuih bunga mold while vacationing in Malaysia.