Thursday, April 07, 2005
Kuih Bunga/ Kuih Rose/ Honeycomb Cookies
This was the kuih bunga I made for this year CNY. I used Jo's crispy honeycomb recipe from jodelibakery.netfirms.com. I didn't get to eat much since my husband basically finished all that I had save for ourselves. I brought more than half to a friend's CNY potluck. My husband just ate it like a snack. Next time I would have to double the recipe.
Adaptation of Jo's recipe:
200ml concentrated coconut milk
1/3 cup + 1 Tbp. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup + 1 Tbp. all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup rice flour, sifted
3 tsp. Black plus 1 tsp. White sesame seeds
Oil for deep frying
1. Combine (A) in a mixing bowl. Whisk until sugar dissolves.
2. Add (B). Whisk to obtain a consistent batter. Add (C). Mix well.
3. Heat oil in a wok/deep fryer. Preheat mould in the hot oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough, dip mould into batter. Make sure batter coats only the bottom and sides of mould.
5. Place coated mould in hot oil. Shake to release honeycomb from mould. If required, use wooden chopsticks to help releasing. Fry until golden brown.
6. Leave to cool completely on wire racks. Store in air-tight container.