Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Carrot Pulp Raisin Buns



This recipe came about because I was trying to save the carrot pulp left behind from juicing.  I used organic carrots in my house and we all knew that the skin on the carrot has lots of nutrients too.  I don't peel my carrot when juicing and the pulp left behind is just too wasteful to throw it away.  So, I had to think of a healthy way to reuse the carrot pulp.  Then, a light bulb went up, I can make it into bread!!  As I am making bread/buns for our breakfast every morning, I can try to incorporate the carrot pulp into my bread.  And hence, this recipe was created.  I used 75% whole wheat flour here and also added raisins for sweetness.  This bun can be eaten as it without any jam or butter.

This bun makes a healthy and balance breakfast as it has milk (calcium), egg (protein), whole wheat flour (carbohydrate), carrot (fiber) and raisin (fruit) in it.  This bun is dense and soft.


For the above picture, I measured the carrot pulp into 1 cup each and store in an air-tight container and freeze it for later.  Just thaw in the refrigerator a night before using, either to make bread or muffin (recipe coming soon).



Ingredients:

1/2 cup milk (room temperature)
2 Tbsp. oil
1 large brown egg  (room temperature)
2 Tbsp. pure cane sugar
1 cup carrot pulp (from juicing) (room temperature)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp. instant yeast
1/2 cup raisins

Method:

Add ingredients according to your bread maker instruction except raisins.  Turn to Dough function.  While bread maker is mixing, when a dough is formed, add the raisins. If you prefer the raisin whole, add it in the end of mixing.

When done, take out the dough, give it a few kneads and cut it into half.  Roll one half into log and cut into 7or 8 pieces.  Shape each into ball shape and place into a greased muffin pan to prove.  Finish the other half dough.

Let it prove for the second time until double in size, about an hour.

Preheat oven to 375'F.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Cool on wire rack completely before storing it in an air-tight container.  You can also freeze the buns and take the amount you need to thaw overnight on the kitchen counter.  The buns would always stay soft in this way.

~Yields about 15 buns

9 comments:

WokandSpoon said...

This does look very healthy. Hardly any sugar in it! All it needs now is a good dollop of nutella :-)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Love this! I don't always know what to do with the remnants, and this is a great idea.

PH said...

This is a really clever way to avoid wastage. Carrots add a nice flavour and has lots of fibre too.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

No waste is a good habit, sound so healthy!

Food For Tots said...

A fun and healthy way to recycle the carrot pulp! Great nutritious buns for the family!

tigerfish said...

I usually don't peel carrots too. I just rinse the organic carrots and sometimes, gently scrape the outside using a paring knife. When I buy pounds of carrots, I like to roast them with herbs and they are so sweet. And best, no wastage (good for person like me who does not bake so carrot pulp, if I had, will be a challenge!) :p

Noob Cook said...

love no wastage in the kitchen. it makes the raisin buns extra healthy and wholesome too.

Shu Han said...

I hate wasting food, and I hate baked goods that are too sweet. This sounds liek such a wondeful healthy way to satisfy my tastebuds! yum!

daphne said...

I love it!!! I tend to buy carrots in bulk too so this is a good recipe to have in mind the next time I have too much. You are so good to make such healthy buns for your family.