This healthy 100% whole wheat carrot pulp muffins uses little oil and sugar. However, if you like it sweeter, you can increase the sugar amount (I included it in the ingredients list). To make this muffin healthier, I used extra virgin olive oil, brown sugar and cane sugar (you can use all brown sugar or cane sugar if you like). And what a great way to use up the carrot pulp left from juicing! If you read it previously, I measured my carrot pulp into 1 cup serving size container and freeze it individually. Just thaw it in the refrigerator the night before you want to use it.
These muffins are moist and soft and not sweet. Since it has egg (protein), carrot (Vitamin A, fiber), milk (calcium), olive oil (healthy fat), whole wheat flour (carbohydrate), salt and sugar, I considered it a balance breakfast or snack. You can also add nuts or seeds for extra nutrients!
- 1 large cage free brown egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil/ olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar (increase to 1/2 cup for sweeter muffins)
- 1 1/4 cup milk ( I used 1% or 2 % but anything would do)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrot pulp (from juicing)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt with iodine
1. In a large glass bowl. Add in (A) according to list. Add one and whisk and then add the next one, whisk, so on.
2. Add (B) and mix with a spatula until blended.
3. Preheat oven to 350'F.
4. Scoop the batter into each muffin cup until 3/4 full. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Cool on wire rack completely before storing in an air-tight container. Best eaten within 3 days at room temperature. Or freeze the extra for later.
~Yields 10 muffin cups as seen above. Will yield more in smaller cups (bake for 25 minutes in smaller cups).
Edited to add, you can use 1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup granulated cane sugar instead of 1/2 and 1/2, it's your preference! Enjoy this delicious healthy muffins!