Kimchi pancakes have been on my to-do list for quite some times. Glad to say I finally made it happen. I made it vegetarian and vegan without adding any meat and egg. I also added the spicy radish that I made earlier for extra kick. I didn't add any seasonings in these pancakes as the kimchi and spicy radish were well seasoned. Furthermore, I served this kimchi pancakes with ginger scallion soy sauce. Hence, I didn't want to make it too salty.
Makes a great side dish or appetizer in any meal.
By the way, Evy made the pretty flower origami! :-)
How the batter looks like
~Makes 4 individual size pancakes.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. rice flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup napa cabbage kimchi, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup spicy radish, drained
- Some cilantro leaves as decoration (optional)
Before turning over, place some decorative cilantro on top of the pancake
1. Mix the first three ingredients, whisk until smooth.
2. Add the kimchi, onion and spicy radish. Mix well.
3. Heat up a non-stick pan with medium heat. Add a little oil. Pour some batter into the middle. Let it cook on the bottom. Lay some cilantro on top for decoration. When the edges started to brown (like above picture), flip it over. Press to flatten the pancakes and let it cook. Cook until golden brown on both sides and crisp on the edges.
For ginger scallion soy sauce:
In a bowl, add in 1 Tbsp. cane sugar, 1 Tbsp hot water to melt the sugar, then add 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 Tbsp. mirin and 1 tsp. pure sesame oil. Mix well. Then, add in some thinly sliced ginger and scallion. If you like it spicy, add 1 tsp. chili oil or 1 tsp. crushed red peppers. Mix well.