I saw this recipe while watching a healthy eating Taiwanese cooking show and it intriguing me. Thus far, I only used the watermelon rind to make cooling soup and have yet to try anything else with it. So, of course this fast and easy cold salad interested me. They said this is good as a side for drinking too. I shared my measurement with you as that show didn't provide the measurement (You will have to buy their cookbook to know it). It tasted surprisingly refreshing and delicious and my friends also gave it a thumb up. I will share with you what I did with this salad as well (like as seen on that TV show) because I just wanted to know how it would taste like. Stay tuned for this surprising upcoming dish!
When cutting the watermelon to eat during Summer, save some of the flesh between the rind and red flesh of the watermelon for this cold mixed salad. Don't cut it too close to the skin as it would be hard. I have a picture to show you how I cut it in the recipe page. I also freeze some to make soup (recipe already posted in my blog under Soup). It can freeze for months. But for this cold mixed salad I won't recommend using the freeze one. It is best when freshly sliced.
- About 2 cups of sliced water melon rind (not the green skin but the part between the skin and the red flesh)
- 2 scallions, washed and chopped and used only the green top part
- About 10 cilantro, washed and chopped
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. ChinKiang vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. cane sugar
A before picture showing you how I sliced it
1. Put the sliced watermelon rind flesh in a glass bowl. Add 1 tsp. of salt, mix with your hand until juices come out. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
2. Pour away the juice, do not rinse. Then, add the seasonings along with chopped scallion and cilantro. Mix well.