Friday, June 15, 2012

Stir Fried Pea Sprouts


I loved pea sprouts!!  This veggie is not cheap if we were to order it in a Chinese restaurant.  It costs about $12 per plate.  Other veggie is about $8.  It is more expensive then other vegetable.  I paid $3 to $4 for a box and it served one plate like the above picture.  So, instead of ordering this veggie in the restaurant, I usually cook it at home for less than $5.

I usually cut the sprouts in half with a scissor as I found it to be easier to cook and eat.  It also need quite a bit of oil to stir-fry this veggie, or else it will leave you with the unpleasant raw taste.  If you master cooking this veggie at home, it can save you some money.  :-P



Ingredients:

  • 1 box of pea sprouts, cut into half and wash in running water, set aside to drain
  • 1 small piece of ginger, thinly sliced, keep to skin (less heaty)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/8 cup of dried small shrimps, rinsed and drained
  • Cooking oil of your choice
  • 1 Tbsp. Chinese white rice wine
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tsp. chicken granules

Method:

1.  In a heated wok, add in some cooking oil.  When heated, add in ginger slices and stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in dried small shrimps and stir-fry until crispy.  Add in sliced garlic, and stir-fry until slightly brown.

2.  Add in pea sprouts and stir-fry well.  Add salt to taste.  Stir-fry until reduce in size.  Add in Chinese rice wine and chicken granules.  Mix well.  Serve hot!

9 comments:

The Experimental Cook said...

interesting that you should use Chinese wine and ginger for this dish which I thought are for meats. Will try this next day. Thanks for sharing.

Nava K said...

Just like you, I love these sprouts. I also cook them the same way as you did but without the wine. I can have just this stir fried sprouts with rice and thats enough for me because its so appetizing.

tigerfish said...

I cook pea sprouts the way you do too! The cooking wine makes it so much better! Need to buy pea sprouts soon.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Yes these are more expensive than other vegetables but they taste so good...I usually have them with just garlic and oyster sauce base...i could just finish a whole plate of them! :)

Food For Tots said...

I still can't master the skill in cooking pea sprouts. Yours look perfect and delicious!

Alice said...

i like this veggies too, so crunchy :)

WokandSpoon said...

Great that you could save some $$!! Lovely healthy dish!

daphne said...

I agree! sprouts are expensive here too. Sometimes I have it in my salads but I like it stir fry as well-just the way you do it!

Noob Cook said...

I find it difficult to stir-fry pea shoots till tender ... yours look great!