Saturday, April 07, 2012

Spicy Cucumber Salad (Oye Moochim)


While I was reading the Dok Suni cookbook, I saw a picture of this cucumber salad placed in a table setting with some BBQ raw meat and a few banchan and had a urge to try it.  The recipe was fairly easy and I had a English cucumber at home, so I made it.

I think I didn't do a good job in straining the salted cucumber as my middle was not as crispy.  I served it with my Korean BBQ meal.  I probably won't make this again as I couldn't mix this in my bibimbap and can only serve it as a side.



Reference:  Dok Suni Cookbook, go buy the cookbook for her recipes.  Below is my version.

Ingredients:

  • 1 English cucumber, you can also use Kirby cucumber
  • 1 Tbsp. coarse salt

(A)
  • 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar

Method:

1.  Slice cucumber into thin rounds.  Sprinkle with coarse salt and mix well.  Let it sit for 20 minutes.  Strain the cucumber by squeezing the water out using a cheesecloth.  Set aside.

2.  In another bowl, stir together (A).  Then, add it into the cucumbers and toss with your hand to mix the seasonings evenly. 

3.  Store in an air-tight glass container or jar and keep refrigerated up to two days.  Serve chilled.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your spicy cucumber salad, the combination of the freshness of the cucumber with the spice, great

Nava K said...

Wonder whats the secret to get the middle to be crispy, maybe could it be because of the seeds and the water that comes out from it?

I always enjoy this simple salad in Korean restaurants but have not tried before. Should give a try by removing the seeds and see what happens.

I think we will enjoy this salad with our rice and its pretty easy to make.

daphne said...

that looks like a cool side to v w bbq though. nevr mind, more chance to prefect the recipe.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

crunchy and spicy, i love this!

tigerfish said...

It looks good! Make it again.

Stephanie said...

I think it would be hard to get the cucumber crispy in the middle, you salad looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Anytime I pickle cucmbers that aren't dill, or whole cucumbers, I peel the entire cucumber, and then use the peeler to create veggie ribbons. I get a consitent thickness with my radishes, cucumbers and carrots this way. Maybe you should give that a try!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Anon for your tip. :) I actually bought a peeler shredder kitchen tool while in Malaysia for vacation that works very well.