While I was reading the Dok Suni cookbook, I saw a picture of this cucumber salad placed in a table setting with some BBQ raw meat and a few banchan and had a urge to try it. The recipe was fairly easy and I had a English cucumber at home, so I made it.
I think I didn't do a good job in straining the salted cucumber as my middle was not as crispy. I served it with my Korean BBQ meal. I probably won't make this again as I couldn't mix this in my bibimbap and can only serve it as a side.
Reference: Dok Suni Cookbook, go buy the cookbook for her recipes. Below is my version.
- 1 English cucumber, you can also use Kirby cucumber
- 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1. Slice cucumber into thin rounds. Sprinkle with coarse salt and mix well. Let it sit for 20 minutes. Strain the cucumber by squeezing the water out using a cheesecloth. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, stir together (A). Then, add it into the cucumbers and toss with your hand to mix the seasonings evenly.
3. Store in an air-tight glass container or jar and keep refrigerated up to two days. Serve chilled.