This spiced holiday cookies is like a gingerbread cookie without the molasses. I created this recipe because I don't buy molasses. But yet I wanted to make a ginger based cookies with other spices and thus this was the result. My girls had been bugging me to make gingerbread man cookies ever since they seen the Christmas lights in my neighborhood. My youngest almost ask me every day is it Christmas yet? How many days away is Christmas? etc.
That's all the motivation I needed as I know my youngest loved to help me decorate the cookies. She helped decorated more than half of the cookies, it was fun for her and easier for me. This cookie is crispy with the fragrant of spices. I hope you like it!
I'm submitting these cookies to Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) hosted by Hankerie.
- 1 cup or 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Cream butter and brown sugar together. Add in egg, beat well.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients, beat until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Flour working surface and rolling pin, roll the dough and cut it out with cookie cutters. Transfer with support to a parchment lined baking sheet. Decorate as desired.
4. Preheat your oven to 350'F.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before storing in an air-tight container.
~Yield about 38 cookies