Monday, December 12, 2011

Spiced Holiday Cookies

 
This spiced holiday cookies is like a gingerbread cookie without the molasses.  I created this recipe because I don't buy molasses.  But yet I wanted to make a ginger based cookies with other spices and thus this was the result.  My girls had been bugging me to make gingerbread man cookies ever since they seen the Christmas lights in my neighborhood.  My youngest almost ask me every day is it Christmas yet?  How many days away is Christmas?  etc.

That's all the motivation I needed as I know my youngest loved to help me decorate the cookies.  She helped decorated more than half of the cookies, it was fun for her and easier for me.  This cookie is crispy with the fragrant of spices.  I hope you like it!

I'm submitting these cookies to  Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) hosted by Hankerie.



 
Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup or 2 sticks of unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Method:

1.  Cream butter and brown sugar together.  Add in egg, beat well.

2.  Add in the rest of the ingredients, beat until a dough is formed.  Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.  

3.  Flour working surface and rolling pin, roll the dough and cut it out with cookie cutters. Transfer with support to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Decorate as desired.

4.  Preheat your oven to 350'F.

5.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Cool completely on wire rack before storing in an air-tight container.

~Yield about 38 cookies

15 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

So joyous and happy - makes me smile!

Maggie said...

These look delicious! Loved ones asking for a special treat is always great motivation to get baking!

Unknown said...

oh they are sooo adorable!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute!! I wanna bite the little mans head off. Ok, that sounds wrong. Really, I meant I want to tuck him into bed with a good book and a cookie (can we say cookie cannibalism?). Erhmmmm, this is my way of saying "YUMMY!" :-P

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar said...

Ahem... that comment should NOT have been posted as anonymous. My bad. I'm brain dead.

Anh said...

Beautiful and cute cookies :)

daphne said...

I want to make some gingerbread man cookies as well! Got to put aside time ;) how worth it to have daughter and mother work together to make such lovely cookies.

Sweet Jasmine said...

This looks like a nice one without the molases. Thks for sharing. I wan to make it for my holiday classes for little kids. Still cldnt get the cutters yet.

Noob Cook said...

so cute and festive!!!

Nava K said...

You added cloves inside??? Nice spicy version of cookies and fits the Christmas theme.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Belinda. :)

Yes Maggie and thanks. :)

Thanks Rita. :)

Ha! Thanks Janet, great imagination!

Thanks Anh. :)

I hope you find the time to make some too Daphne. :)

I hope you find the cutters soon. I accidentally found mine after Christmas on Walmart clearance rack. :)

Thanks noobcook. :)

Yes Nava. ;)

pigpigscorner said...

So cute! Can't wait for Christmas too!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

same to me, usually i will let my kids to make the decoration too. Your look so cute!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks pigpigs. :)

Thanks Sonia. Yeah, the kids loved to decorate the cookies, so just let them play lor. :)

mjskit said...

What a cute little plate of cookies! Bet they're tasty too!