Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ching's Tutti-Frutti Cookies


Long ago back in 2006, I tried Pusiva's Tutti-Frutti cookie recipe, you can see the post here.   It was similar to Icebox cookie as it was shaped, refrigerate until firm, thinly sliced and then baked.  Her version included desiccated coconut to create a light and crispy texture.  This time around, I played with my own little version by adding slightly more flour, reduce sugar slightly (I remembered I noted it was too sweet before) and also added the sweeten coconut flakes in addition to desiccated coconut for a fun twist.  I just realized I shouldn't call it tutti-frutti as tutti-frutti means candied peels and I used none of it in this recipe.  Oops!

This cookie is light and crispy with coconut fragrant and totally irresistible.  Try it!  I gave some to my friends on X'mas, I hope they like it. 

I also want to take this opportunity to wish my readers a Happy New Year 2012, may you have a happy and healthy new year! :)

I'm submitting these cookies to  Aspiring Bakers #14: Creative Christmas Bakes (December 2011) hosted by Hankerie. 




My version of Tutti-Frutti cookies:

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (or two sticks)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
  • 3/4 cup sweeten coconut flakes
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup raisins
  • 3/4 cup candied pineapples

Thinly slice with serrated knife

Method:

1.  Sift flour and baking powder.  Add salt, mix well and set aside.

2.  Beat together butter and sugar until light with an electric beaters.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.  Stir in with a spatula the flour mixture.  Then add in both coconuts, dried cranberries, candied pineapples and raisins, stir to mix well and form a dough.

3.  Use your hands to divide the dough into 2 or 3 long logs, you can shape it either circle or square or rectangle.  It will be quite sticky.  Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.  You can also freeze it for much later.  If you freeze your dough, you don't need to defroze it.

4.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  Thinly slice the dough log with a serrated knife into thin slices.  Place on parchment lined baking pan.  Bake on middle rack for 10-12 minutes or until pale golden.

5.  Remove and cool on wire rack.  Store in air-tight container.

~Yield about 114 cookies for me

10 comments:

Noob Cook said...

114 cookies! can I have one? :D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this look perfect treat for Christmas! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.

Nava K said...

They sure look tempting to me and like all the dried fruits you have added inside.

daphne said...

they do look festive! happy new year to you. Hope you had a great christmas ;)

Shu Han said...

wow the second attempt looks even better! i'm trying to stave off all those cookies and treats now that xmas is over, but these look tempting!

Babe_KL said...

Ooo looked a bit like my Yoghurt Fruit Cake!

A New Year Wish for You Wishing you a year that brings Good friends, good health, good luck, good things! Happy New Year!

Janine said...

that's a whole lot of cookies and so beautiful too!

tigerfish said...

Happy New Year to you and your family!
Can I have one cookie too? :p

Retno Prihadana said...

cookies with a cup of tea, hmmmm...yummy. Happy New year to you and your family

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha sure noobcook, help yourself!

Thanks Sonia.

Thanks Nava, this cookie is delicious, give it a go!

Thanks Daphne.

Shu Han, save it for next year Christmas, or for the coming CNY. ;)

Thanks babe!

Thanks Janine.

Yes Tigerfish, help yourself, you can have more than one. :D

Thanks Retno. :)