Saturday, November 26, 2011

Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken and Shiitake Mushroom (蒸香菇糯米鸡)


I don't know who wouldn't love a bowl of steamed glutinous rice.  I ate this while growing up in Malaysia and now I passing this dish to my daughters.  I hope when they grow up, they will learn how to cook this and pass it down to the next generation as well and let the tradition continue.

Instead of the usual waxed sausages, I substituted it with the waxed pork belly that was given to me.   I was out of dried shrimps so this was without it.  But this dish won't be as flavorful without the dried shrimps.  Best to serve it with chopped scallion, crispy fried shallots and chili padi.



Waxed pork belly courtesy of a Chinese chef who works in our friend's restaurant.  His departure gift as he will be leaving here for good and back to China to be with his daughter.   A bit sad as no more special treat from him.  :(




Ingredients:

As seen on the above picture:
  • 1 skinless and boneless chicken breast, thinly slice and season with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, white pepper, sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch.  Mix well.
  • 2 big shallots (the smallest one is for making shallot oil for my png kuih), mince
  • 4 cloves of garlic, mince
  • 9 shiitake mushroom, soften in water and thinly slice
  • 1 piece of waxed pork belly or you can use lap cheong (waxed sausage), thinly slice
  • 3 1/2 cups of glutinous rice/ sweet rice, soak in water overnight, drain 

  • Seasonings to taste, no measurement here.
  • Fish sauce, iodized salt, sugar, 5-spice powder, white pepper.

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok, when hot, add in cooking oil.  Add in shallot and garlic and fry until fragrant.  Add marinated chicken breast, stir-fry until chicken is cooked.

2.  Add in waxed pork belly and mushroom, stir-fry well.

3.  Add in glutinous rice and seasonings, stir-fry well.  Add in a little water if need to.  You can also add dark soy sauce if you prefer darker color.

4.  Move to a steamer and steam until the glutinous rice is cooked.  About an hour or so.  

5.  Serve with crispy fried shallots and chopped scallion on the rice and bird-eye chili with soy sauce as a side.


9 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is also my all time favourite , yummy!

tigerfish said...

Good that you have a dish that is (and will be) passed down the generations ...

Unknown said...

yummm comfort food at its best...ohhh hope he's happy back with family and there'll be a replacement good friend chef... :)

daphne said...

Indeed, you make it look sooo easy. I can see the flavours from using the belly instead of normal lupchong.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I certainly love a bowl of steaming hot sticky rice...I'm now hungry!

Anh said...

Delicious! My MIL loves this kind of rice

Retno Prihadana said...

lecker.....love this too :)

Ling's Passion said...

You make this sound so easy to make.

janet said...

I love this. Reminds me of prayers time in Johore Bahru. The lovely chinese opera and procession. Those were the days. Am now living in Austria. Heard no more big celebration. A shame. I will try to make this. Thanks for reminding me of the good old days.