Monday, May 16, 2011

[S$20 Budget Meal] Tom Yam Cream Soup


I always wanted to make the Tom Yam Cream Soup (with added coconut cream) ever since I tried the instant noodle version years ago.  I wondered how I never gotten to make it all these years, perhaps I tried to stay away from coconut milk as much as possible.  Frankly growing up in South East Asia, staying away from coconut milk was almost impossible, especially in Malaysia.  Most food was made with coconut milk either in curry form, kuih-muih, and/or dessert.

Since I had some coconut cream left, I couldn't resist putting a few tablespoons into my Tom Yam soup.  It definitely kick it up a notch being creamier and fragrant with coconut smell.  Instead of shrimps, I used Cod fillets and added a bunch of vegetable and tofu puffs.  Easy one dish meal served with my organic short-grain brown rice.


I am submitting this to "S$20 Budget Meal"  or "US$15 budget meal" hosted by Cuisine Paradise.  This month specific key ingredient is Tofu or beancurd.  I used tofu puffs in this dish and the estimated cost for this meal was about US$8.



Ingredients:

2 cod fillets, cut  $3.33  (on sales)
Tofu puffs, cut into half   70c
Frozen green beans  30c  (on sales)
1/2 yellow onion, sliced   20c
7oz of fresh button mushroom, cut  90c  (on sales)
2 organic carrots, cut  30c
6 bouncy fish balls, cut into half  $1.20  (on sales)
1/6 canned of coconut cream  25c

Total cost thus far was  $7.18.

Plus Tom Yam paste, lime juice and chili paste, I would estimate it to be around $8.

Direction:

Heat up a large pot, add in a little oil and onion.  Stir until onion is soften.  Add in some water and wait for it to boil.  When boiling, add in the tom yam paste, chili paste and lime juice.  Then add the tofu puffs, green bean, mushroom, and carrot.  Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.  Lastly add in the coconut cream, fish balls and fish fillets.  Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked.  You can add basil or cilantro at the end before serving too.  Dish out and serve with rice.


11 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

This is definitely a soup I want!! Especially with bouncy fish balls!

Indonesia Eats said...

Same with me! Almost all food, dessert and kue are made from coconut milk.

Growing up from a father who was native to Sumatra, it was impossible to eat something without coconut milk. I recalled when I was teenager I told that I was tired of gulai that was served daily. But ever since move out from the country, I miss it once a while :)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Ching! Your Tom Yam Soup makes me drool early(5am, SG time) in the morning while looking at it.... :) thanks for sharing this recipe.

pigpigscorner said...

The added cream must make it extra rich. Sounds yummy!

tigerfish said...

I seldom have Tom Yam - cream version. Usually I have the clear soup.

Little Inbox said...

I have not tried the version with coconut milk, but it sounds really delicious.

@West5thStreet said...

Your recipes look GREAT! Glad I stumbled upon your blog!

daphne said...

Ahh.. Tom yum! It's such a easy but sooo hearty. I love how you made it into a one pot dish! and addition of tofu puffs.

Juliana said...

Wow, nice soup...fish and tofu, delicious! Love the idea of coconut cream...so tasty. Hope you are having a great week :-)

Suzi said...

Hi, this recipe looks delicious. I am wondering what tofu puffs are and how to make them. I love tofu. Thanks!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Suzi,

We don't make the tofu puffs, we buy them in the Asian market in the refrigerator section. It's like cubes of fried tofu puffs, you can ask the salesperson to show it to you.