Thursday, October 07, 2010

Pandan Chiffon Cake 2 (Healthier Version)


Pandan chiffon cake was my childhood favorite cake.  I remembered I always asked my mom to buy it at the bakery shop for us to have as breakfast.  It was great being a kid without having to worry about counting calories and just consumed however much we liked.  I seriously would not have known what went into making a cake, a bread, or a dish without me being a cook and a baker myself.  Once I learned that, I have to be careful at what to cook for my family and how much portion to consume in a day, you know to watch my diet and not over eating certain food that is high in saturated fat.


This recipe is adapted from my Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe but because I want to make it healthier with less saturated fat content, I omitted the coconut milk and used 1% milk instead.  I also changed the all-purpose flour to cake flour, just for experiment.  Glad to say it turned out well, still fragrant with Pandan smell and not much difference from the Pandan chiffon cake made with coconut milk.

I didn't do a nice job at dismounting my chiffon cake from the tube pan, this really takes patient and skill.  LOL!






Ingredients:

(A)
  • 1 3/4 cup cake flour, sifted
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar

(B)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 1 %)
  • 1 tsp. pandan paste

(C)
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 3/4 cup sugar

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350'F (175'C).

2. Combine (A) in a bowl. Whisk to blend. Add (B). Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.

3. Beat (C) with a clean beaters until moist peaks formed. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff and shiny peaks are formed. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolks mixture, fold to mix until blended and proceed with the rest of the egg whites. Fold gently but thoroughly. Turn batter into ungreased 10" tube pan.

4. Bake for 55 mins in the center of the oven or til a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake and cool completely in pan. When cool, loosen the edges with a thin plastic knife and invert pan to remove cake.


The above is the picture of the Pandan paste that I used, usually selling for 99 cent at the Asian grocery store.  This is the brand and paste that I recommend to produce a fragrant cake, essence and powder form are not recommended.  

26 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

When are you opening your own bakery? I love light fluffy cakes like this - prefer them...and this is so gorgeous in color.

Zoe said...

Love the healthy version of cake. I will try this option if I'm making Pandan cake the next time :D

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to the counting calories thing. When I was in middle school, I ate half of a pizza and I don't even think I gained any weight. (around 11 inches in diameter) Now that I bake, I know how much butter/fat goes into the goods and I don't trust eating outside either. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. :) This is so cool, you were able to adapt the recipe and have it turn out great still.

Rack of Lam said...

I've been wanting to bake with pandan powder, but I can't find any in Asian supermarkets in New York! Where can I get some?

Wendy said...

I saw many recipe with panda. I never tried cooking with pandan. Would you mind showing us your package of pandan paste? I love to try this healthier version of your pandan cake. Thanks.

Unknown said...

aiyoyo i don't think i have the skill to even make the cake heheheh

busygran said...

Nice, spongy and soft! Cake flour is very suitable for chiffon cakes.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Yeah, pandan chiffon is a cake I can never say no to. You're v smart! Can even think of making a healthier version. :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Belinda. Haha...have no plan on opening a bakery. :P

Great Zoe! To me, this version is equally good. :)

Thanks x3baking... oh yeah sometimes ignorance is bliss, but then might turn out overweight if we still eat like a teenager. So, if given a choice, I prefer to be in the know. Hahaha....

Rack of Lam, don't use pandan powder, go get the paste. I posted a picture in my blog, check it out, this Pandan paste should be available in the Asian market in New York. ;)

Wendy, picture posted. Go buy and give it a try, you will love this Pandan (screwpine leave) fragrant.

Haha Rita, don't look down at your skill, who knows, you might be able to? ;)

Thanks busygran, yeah I noticed. Going to try cake flour on sponge cake too. Hehehe...

Haha thanks Ju. :P

Unknown said...

Great recipe. Any healthier version is good for me. It lets me eat more of it.

Indonesia Eats said...

Yay! this kind of cakes that I grew up. My late mom used to make it. But, I've never made it yet.

Noob Cook said...

I love healthier version, and glad to hear that it's still fragrant. I have to bookmark this recipe in case I have courage to bake cakes next time hehe :)

Min said...

Ya, I like this one which is healthier :) What is 1% milk? Can I use the normal low fat milk?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha Joy, Yup!

Indo-eat, you should try it! ;)

Noobcook, me too! I liked this healthier version. :P

Min, sure you can use your normal low fat milk. The milks sold in US came in fat free, 1%, 2% and whole. ;)

tigerfish said...

You are good with healthy cakes :)

Cooking Gallery said...

This cake looks so spongy and soft! I have not eaten pandan cakes for an extremely long time. The last time I ate it was probably when I was still in primary school - your post brings back memories...!!

Anonymous said...

That one really tall chiffon. Ur family is lucky to have u make healthier versions of food for them!

dining room table said...

This one really looks so soft and yummy! It has been a long time since I mad e some chiffon cake!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! It was a great cake. I had to substitute the pandan paste with pandan essence since I could not find the paste in my local Asian store. I made cupcakes instead and baked for 18 minutes. I noticed that the cupcakes baked in the top rack of my oven were fine, but the cupcakes from the lower rack sunk in the middle and shriveled up into weird shapes. All my later cupcake trays went alone in the top rack and looked great. Again thanks for the recipe! Joan

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Joan and thanks for your feedback. :) Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really like your blog & recipes. Have tried making the chiffon cake. But failed the 2nd time. Don't know what caused the cake to collapse. Any advice for me? Thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Anon, not sure but one crucial step in when blending the egg whites into the batter, make sure you don't release too much bubbles when stirring and yet mix thoroughly. Good Luck!

Dumpling Love said...

I made this the other day and it was perfect! My whole family liked it.

Thanks for a great recipe!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Dumpling love, thank you for taking the time to feedback to me. I'm so glad you and your family liked it. :)

Akimori said...

Coconut is one of the healthiest products known on Earth and so replacing it with cow's milk is not really "healthier" ^^ While it may be true that coconut milk or oil are rich in fats, even saturated fats, due to unique properties of those fats combined, coconut makes you actually lose weight. There has been studies that has shown not only dietary properties of coconut oil (or coconut fruit, but consumed in larger quantities), but also health benefit (please do google!). So by all means, eat coconut. The only drawback of this miraculous oil (unrefined, cold-produced) is it's price.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Akimori,

I grew up in a country where coconut milk is a staple. We put it in everything, from rice, curries, cake, cookies, kuih (Asian cake), sweet dessert soup, basically everything one can think of. We couldn't avoid it, you either eat something that contains coconut milk everyday or a few times a week. Coconut milk is so fragrant and it makes all the food delicious, it's hard to resist. What I found out was people who live there, who are young and super skinny have very high cholesterol level (which would ultimately lead to heart disease). Not to say those who are middle age and above and over weight. I for one who would not recommend anyone to eat coconut oil or coconut milk everyday because of it's high saturated fat content. But I wouldn't mind in moderation or once a week. I know coconut water is good for us, we drink that to quench thirst. We grated coconut flesh to make candied coconut and for topping in Asian cake. But for coconut milk and coconut oil, I am skeptical and would be very careful. Of course that's purely my opinion, you can believe whatever you wish.

Here's a link for you:
http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2008/09/25/2372372.htm