Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pandan Oatmeal Waffles


I wanted to try pandan waffle and yet I wanted it to be healthy for my girls.  So, I added instant oatmeal.  I added chocolate chips because my girls loved them.  As this waffle is a to-go waffle and we eat it as is, I also added some dried cranberries and made it sweeter.  The calories for one of this is definitely 2-3 times higher than a piece of plain whole wheat bread.  But for growing up girls it should be fine.  What the heck, I eat it too because it's really good and it has oatmeal in it.


I actually loved the color because it is a change from the usual.  Strangely though Evy didn't like it and she was the one that asked me to make the Pandan waffle in the first place.  Guess I will have to omit Pandan and use vanilla extract for her.  I have an idea for another type of waffle which I am going to experiment next because of an article I read recently.






Ingredients:

  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup instant oatmeal/ quick-cooking oats
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. pandan extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 4 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 3/4 cup 1 % milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil

  • Dried cranberries & chocolate chips, as needed (optional)

Method:

1.  In a big bowl, hand whisk the two eggs until fluffy.  Add in the rest of the ingredients except dried cranberries & chocolate chips and hand whisk until all is blended.  Set aside.

2.  Preheat your waffle maker.  When preheated, spray with buttery non-stick spray and scoop some of the batter onto the waffle iron.  Spread some dried cranberries & chocolate chips on top.  Then, cover the top and side with more batter.  Cover and cook until brown.  For mine is about 6 minutes.  Exact time depends on your waffle maker.

3.  Take it out with a spatula and chopstick and serve hot.

Or cool on wire rack and put in a zip lock bag and freeze for future use.  Toast in a toaster to heat it up.

13 comments:

Bakericious said...

sound interesting and looks yummy. too bad my daughter has lost her interest on waffle :(

Min said...

I like eating waffles too, usually buy from outside. So still considering to buy a waffle machine, then I can bake waffles for breakfast :)

Cooking Gallery said...

These waffles must have smelled so good and aromatic...!

Wendy said...

At one time, I tried to find panda extract at a Vietname/Chinese market and no one knows what I am talking again. Buying a large volume of panda leaves takes up a lot of spaces and is labor intensive. Wonder if you would mind showing up your bottle and brand. Thanks.

daphne said...

I love how u added oatmeal to it.. and pandan flavour too! I really should take my waffle iron out!

Noob Cook said...

love your pandan + oatmeal + cc combo!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What unique waffles! That is a delicious combination.

Cheers,

Rosa

Little Corner of Mine said...

Aww Jess, that's too bad.

Min, it's a good investment. I loved making waffles and freeze it for breakfast.

Thanks cooking gallery. I just had my last piece, going to try out a new waffle I had in mind soon.

Wendy, here's the link to the Pandan extract that I used with picture.
http://importfood.com/spco1105.html

Daphne, take it out, it made about 1 week of breakfast for two. ;)

Thanks noobcook.

Thanks Rosa.

The Cooking Ninja said...

I never thought of using oatmeal. What a great idea. Now that I'm based in Singapore, we'll have to get ourselves a new waffle/sandwich maker for our new house.

Babe_KL said...

So many variations! Can't wait for more to come from you

Unknown said...

I would never think of using pandan. Great dish.

Sallylim said...

I would like to try the oatmeal waffles but i do not have the maker. Any other options? TQ

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hmmm Sally, you can try it like pancake style (put a scoop in a nonstick pan and let it cook on both sides) but I never try it before so I don't know whether it works or not.