Thursday, September 16, 2010

Indonesian Cantik Manis Kuih


When I saw this recipe at Indonesia Eats's blog, I knew I had to try it.  It looked so pretty in hers as her colorful tapioca pearls retained its color when cooked.  Mine the color seem to be disappeared during the cooking process.  It only has a light tint of green but can't even see it from the pictures.

The reason I wanted to try it is because I have a packet of Korean green bean starch in my pantry and the rest of the ingredients.


This dessert received rave reviews from my hubby and daughters.  They simply loved it.  Just be careful when you stir in the green bean starch, make sure that it is dissolved completely and no lumps present.  If you see lumps, don't scoop it into the mold to cool as it won't be edible.  I let mine harden in the refrigerator and store it in the refrigerator as it is made of coconut milk.  Anything made using coconut milk turns sour easily so remember to store it in the refrigerator.


I am submitting this dish to Indonesia Eats for her CSN store giveaway.





Recipe adapted from Indonesian Eats.

Ingredients:
  
  • 100 g colourful sago/tapioca pearls   
  • 50g Korean green bean starch
  • 500ml coconut milk  
  • ¼ tsp. salt 
  • 90g sugar
  
Konnayaku jelly mold, or any mold you have

Methods:
 

1. In a boiling water, add tapioca pearls and cook for 10 minutes and then off the heat, cover and let it sit for 15 minutes or until transparent and strain.
 
2. Dilute green bean starch with some parts of coconut milk and set aside.

3.Boil remaining coconut milk with salt, then add green bean starch mixture and stir. Add sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add sago pearls, stir well and remove from heat.
 
4. Pour the mixture into molds. Leave to cool in the refrigerator. Unmould the cakes and serve.

22 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

It's so pretty! I like the little pearls inside!

Indonesia Eats said...

Cing your kue looks so pretty! Yeah... I kept mine the fridge as well. Thank you for your participation. I'm wondering where you got those pretty moulds.

Food For Tots said...

These jellies look so beautiful and delish! I got to try it out too. ;)

Unknown said...

They are beautiful. I have been dying to find those molds.

Belinda @zomppa said...

How gorgeous! I never tried this but I want to try!

Charmaine said...

Looks pretty. Going to try it!

Anh said...

that looks so lovely! I may make some kuih after the mooncake adventure!!

daphne said...

ooo.. It's jelly and sago in one! i like the moulds u used Ching. It's very pretty.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

cantik sekali kuih ini!!

busygran said...

This dessert deserves its name - cantik manis! Indeed pretty and sweet!

Sweet Jasmine said...

Lovely dessert,..I think with some pandan juice for coloring wld be nice too. Let me try it out next time and see.

Baking Fiend said...

Interesting... i've never seen this before!

Noob Cook said...

this is a refreshing and beautiful looking dessert :D

Babe_KL said...

look so pretty leh!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks pigpigs.

Indo-eats, my pleasure! I got the molds from Malaysia.

Haha, thanks F4T, go try!

Thanks Joy, you can get it in Malaysia or Singapore.

Belinda, why not? Since it's pretty easy to make.

Thanks Charmine, hope you like it too.

Thanks Anh.

Thanks Daphne. I love those molds too. Come in handy for me.

Terima kasih Sonia. :)

Thanks busygran.

What an excellent idea Sweet Jasmine! Try it!

Baking Fiend, yeah first for me too, very interesting! How a little starch can solidify the liquid.

Thanks noobcook.

Thanks babe. :)

tigerfish said...

green bean starch? that is new to me.

Nanette said...

Dear Little Corner Of Mine: I couldn't find an email address to send this to you, so I hope you don't mind my sending it to you this way.
I've enjoyed your blog and I wanted to present you with the One Lovely Blog Award that was kindly sent to me. I hope you accept this gift and display it proudly on your Blog. The rules are simple and you can find your award on my food blog listed below.

Here are the rules for passing it on:

1. Accept the award. Post it on your blog with the name of the person who has granted the award and his or her blog link.
2. Pay it forward to 15 other bloggers that you have newly discovered.
3. Contact those blog owners and let them know they've been chosen.

Nanette at cucinananette.blogspot.com

Jun Indochine Kitchen said...

I have never had this cake before! They are beautiful. I think I like this better than the colorful ones

Cooking Gallery said...

Those look beautiful! Cantik manis is certainly in my list to try in the future!

Quiet_Baker- said...

I just saw your blog and its amazing!!! How do you find time doing these wonderful dishes with 2 kids? Kudos to you!!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yup Tigerfish, it's called green bean starch or mung bean starch, available in Korean market. ;)

Thanks Nanatte, but I stopped posting awards already.

Thanks Jun. ;)

Cooking Gallery, yeah go ahead, it's very easy to make and delicious to eat. :)

Hehe, thanks quiet baker. I guess one of the main reason is my girls are not the clingy type. :)

Veronica said...

What beautiful and dainty little cakes. Thanks for sharing. Will make these coming weekend.