Thursday, September 23, 2010

Herdez Salsa Macaroni with Shrimps


My girls didn't want to eat the porridge so I made this pasta dish for them.  It just so happen that I had a bottle of salsa in the pantry that I needed to use.  So, I created this easy macaroni and shrimps pasta with it.  None of them complaint that it was spicy so I guess it was not spicy to them, as it only listed as mild.  However, my picky eater Evy won't eat the tomatoes.  She is a strange little girl, as she will eat the blended pasta tomato sauce but not if she can see the tomato.  So, she only ate the macaroni and shrimps and picked out all the tomatoes and set it aside on her plate.


It is really hard as tomato is good for her.  I think she got influence by her daddy as he would not eat tomatoes too.  Because of this, I don't buy tomatoes.  Guess I will have to cook more spaghetti with tomato based pasta sauce as this is the only time she would eat it with no complaint. 


I'm sharing this noodle with Presto Pasta Nights, an event created by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast This week host is Valli of More Than Burnt Toast. Check out her delicious round up on Sept, 24th!





Ingredients:

2 cups of dried macaroni, cooked at directed, drain and set aside
8 extra large shrimps, smashed with your knife and minced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bottle of Herdez salsa casera mild (16oz)
2 Tbsp. Ketchup
2 tsp. sugar
Dashes of Italian seasoning herbs

Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for cooking

Method:

1.  Heat up a skillet, add EVOO.  Then, add minced shrimps and garlic, fry until shrimps are cooked.

2.  Add in Herdez salsa, stir well.  Add the ketchup, Italian seasonings and sugar.  Mix well.  Lastly, add in the cooked macaroni, stir well to mix.  Serve hot!

3.  You can serve with Parmesan cheese too.

14 comments:

High Plains Drifters said...

very cool -- a keeper.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Salsa pasta - that's a way to spice things up!

busygran said...

A quick meal it is! My grandsons are picky eaters too. I would mince or blend the stuffs they don't like to eat and cook with meat or chicken. The puree ends up in the gravy. They slurp it up unsuspectingly! Bad grandma! ;P

tigerfish said...

Seems that you have tried many times to get her eat tomatoes but she would not? Hmmm...try and try. Tomatoes are so good not to love.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

a simple yummy dish!

daphne said...

oh dear, sounds like tinned tomatoes are the way to go. What about cherry tomatoes?

I like how simple this dish is! and quick!!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks HPD.

It is Belinda. ;)

Busygran, how can that be bad, a caring grandma is what it is. :)

Tigerfish, it's hard, she would pick out the tomato, onion, ginger to the side of the plate. Even chopped onion, she still took time to pick it out.

Thanks Sonia.

Daphne, she won't eat cherry tomatoes too. I would be the only one who eat it if I buy some.

Unknown said...

oh yummm! another brilliant idea i must copy hehe

My Asian Kitchen said...

easy and simple pasta for your kids!! my Mishu love macaroni cheese and red sauce paste only!!did you make lunch for your daughter to school?

Kana said...

How very quick thinking!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Rita, :)

Les, yes I make lunch for her to bring to school. I cook more for dinner, pack the lunchbox for my hubby and Evy. The next morning, for Evy's lunch, I heat it in the microwave and then transfer it in a thermos food jar for her to bring to school. She said it's still warm at lunch time. :)

Thanks Maya.

Claudia said...

I would probably whir it up in the blender for her, til nice and smooth, but I do spoil my grandkids.

This sounds like a lovely quick meal.

Little Corner of Mine said...

That was an excellent idea Claudia, how come I never thought of blending it in a blender? Thanks. :)

Ruth Daniels said...

I have a grown up "kid" ie my husband... who loves tomato sauce, but not tomatoes...he'd pick them out too. Thanks for sharing a great post and a tasty dish with Presto Pasta Nights. What's on the pasta menu this week? I'm hosting PPN.