Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sweet and Sour Mahi-Mahi

This is a recipe I learned from watching Chinese cooking shows.  I have seen many different Chinese chefs using this same base sauce for their sweet and sour prawns, fish and poultry.  Since this sauce is so popular, I had tried it on prawns and fish.  It is indeed a good sauce but to guarantee that the sauce comes out perfect, it will have to depend on your years of cooking expertise.  These Chinese chefs don't give measurement in their cooking, only the ingredients, so use your expertise and estimate it yourself.  I added whatever veggie I have at home for the colors and additional veggie intake.  So, feel free to be creative and use what your have at home.


This is the mahi-mahi fillet I bought on-sales at the Sunflower market.  I criss-cross it for faster cooking time.  You can cover the wok when pan-frying to cook the middle as well.  Eat this with some Teriyaki sauce drizzle on top is fabulous as well.  Of course you can use other fish fillets or fish for this dish.







Ingredient:

Mahi-Mahi fillet, slice the fish criss-cross; season with Chinese cooking wine, salt and white pepper
Cornstarch to coat the fish before pan-frying
Carrot
Red bell pepper
Frozen green peas
Ketchup

Sauce (A):
Chopped scallion, only the white part
Minced ginger
Minced garlic
Chinese dark vinegar
Salt
Sugar
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Hot Water, to dissolve the sugar
Cornstarch

Method:

1.  Mix sauce (A) together in a bowl, still until sugar dissolved, set aside.

2.  Heat up a wok, add in oil, use medium heat.  While waiting for the oil to turn hot, coat the mahi-mahi fillet with cornstarch.  When hot, add in the mahi-mahi fillet and pan-fry until both sides are golden brown and cooked inside.  Dish out and set aside.

3.  With the remaining oil, add in cut carrot, red bell pepper and stir-fry for a while.  Add in frozen green peas and stir to mix.  Add in ketchup and mix well.  Add in sauce (A) and let the sauce thicken.

4.  Pour the sauce on top of the fish fillet to serve.

8 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

Classic sauce! Deliciousness!

tigerfish said...

I like that you criss-cross it for faster cooking...for a while I thought they were grill marks. I actually feel quite comfortable not measuring anything not because I am experienced. But if I need to measure, then becomes like baking...which I dislike. Measuring is a chore leh! hahahha!

Indonesia Eats said...

wohooo you're calling my name right now. I love mahi-mahi. Can we trade for sate?

Just thinking to return your comment in my blog. Sate in Indonesia has so many variants, including the sauce. If you remember about my post of sate padang. That sate doesn't come with peanut sauce, but it comes with curry gravy type of sauce.

Joy said...

Love the recipe. I like how you created "grill" marks on the fish.

Unknown said...

yummm...sweet and sour anything! my favorite!

busygran said...

Sweet and sour sauce goes well with most kind of meat. Yours has so much veggie which makes it a complete dish!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

simple and yummy dish!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Belinda. :)

I agreed Tigerfish, measuring is a chore! LOL! I don't like to measure in cooking too, just feel it.

Interesting Indo-Eats, I didn't know that because in Malaysia all satay served with peanut sauce. No variety at all.

Hehe...Thanks Joy!

Me too Rita!

Hehe busygran, really so much veggies! :P

Thanks Sonia. :)