Sunday, July 25, 2010

Simple "Chai Hsin" / Chinese Green (菜心)


This veggie dish is so simple that I feel embarrass in sharing it.  Truly, so simple that anyone can make it.  Not only it is simple, but it is delicious as well.  Slight crunch from the green and the oyster sauce give it a full flavor.  You can buy this Chinese veggie at the Asian supermarket.

Mostly, I would do a stir-fry on this green with some garlic, carrot and flavor with oyster sauce.  I guess after a while, I wanted a change or try cooking it in a different way.  I used this method in cooking my iceberg lettuce which I learned from my hubby long ago.  Always received rave reviews from others who have tasted it.  I am sure this method is good for other green vegetable as well.


Side Dish Showdown Blogger Event



Ingredients:

  • A bunch of Chinese Green- Chai Hsin   (菜心), plucked and cleaned
  • Oyster sauce to taste
  • 3-4 gloves of garlic, minced
  • 4 Tbsp. of canola oil

Method:

1.  Bring a pot of water to a boil.  Add a little salt.  When boiling, quickly blanch the veggie and drain it and put on a plate.  Finish the rest of the veggie.

2.  Arrange the blanched veggie on a plate, pour some oyster sauce on top.  Not too much or else it will be too salty.  Just enough to coat the veggie.

3.  Heat a small saucepan or wok with canola oil.  When heated , add in the minced garlic, stir-fry until garlic turned light golden brown (be careful not to burn the garlic), take it off the stove and quickly pour the garlic and garlic oil on top of the oyster sauce on the veggie.

4.  Stir to mix well before eating.

8 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a great classic combination!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

I'm even worse - I just stirfry in garlic and some salt! But I love it this way - can taste the natural sweetness of the veggie. :)

Unknown said...

simple but always good :D

Noob Cook said...

This is a great idea I have to try. I like blanching more than stir frying, lesser risk of overcooking the veg :)

Yan said...

great minds think alike !!!

thats how i have been doing the same whenever Mom leaves the kitchen to me...

the greens are crunchier, shinnier and 'sparking' green allure...

Food For Tots said...

This is my usual way of eating greens especially leafy veggies. But I used shallot oil instead. Simple and healthy! You have done the right thing to share this healthy method so that others can follow too. ;)

tigerfish said...

Talking about who is worst....I usually just blanch mine (bok choy, choy sum, kailan, brocolli, etc.) :O

Anonymous said...

Excellent photo! :)

I love easy and healthy veggie dish.