Friday, July 09, 2010

Red Bean Mochi Cupcakes


I first heard about mochi cake through A Food Lover's Journey.  I looked through the recipe and it is a lot like the baked nian gao that I did for Chinese New Year except probably half the recipe called for.  It is an interesting idea to bake it in cupcakes and I wanted to give it a try.  Since I love red bean flavor and have some red bean paste on hand, I made mine into a red bean mochi (glutinous rice) cupcakes.


It tasted like "kuih" (a Malaysian cake), soft, sticky and slightly chewy with red bean flavor.  You can certainly substitute the milk with coconut milk to make it richer. This recipe of mine stays soft even after three days in a container.  Best eaten within three days, might go bad after that. One thing to note though, the paper will be hard to unwrap on the first day it was baked, but easier on the second day onwards.

You can buy the red bean paste in a can at the Asian grocery stores in the U.S. for those who are interested.  Feedback to me when you try this red bean mochi cake.  I had made it twice and loved it!






~Yield about 12-18 cupcakes (about half of the normal paper cup size), depending on the cupcake paper size and how much batter you add.

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 200g red bean paste (sweeten) from a can
  • 200g glutinous rice flour (about 2 cups)

Method:

1.  In a big mixing bowl, add in eggs and sugar.  Use a hand whisk or electric whisk and whisk until light and well mixed, sugar dissolved.  

2.  Add in oil and milk, hand whisk until combine.

3.  Stir in baking powder and red bean paste, whisk until smooth.

4.  Lastly, add in glutinous rice flour, whisk until well incorporated.  The batter will be watery so don't have to be alarm.  Use a soup ladle and fill the paper cup almost to the rim.  The cake will sink down a little after you take it out of the oven.

5.  Bake in preheated 350'F oven for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack and store in air-tight container.

26 comments:

daphne said...

oooo.. u got me there!!! I might give this a go one day! thanks for sharing. Love anything red bean.

ps-the last time i made the niao guo, they were a big hit at CNY party!thank you for sharing!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I'm not usually a red bean fan, but you make it look so good!

Kathryn said...

That looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to Recipe4Living! Each day this month, we’re giving away a t-shirt to our favorite new recipe!

Bakericious said...

sound interesting, thanks for sharing.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I baked this once only, look at yours lovely mochi cupcakes, i think I should bake it again..

Anh said...

I love mochi cake - especially the texture. You remind me to bake some very soon!

Big Boys Oven said...

sis! oh those looked truly spphisicated sexy!

Cathy said...

Hi, can I check with you if the glutinous rice flour is the same as the flour that we use to make 'Tang yuan'? Also, what else can I substitute if I do not want the red bean paste? Tks. :)

Bits said...

Ha! Something different! Look so soft and moist!

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Daphne. If you like the nian gao, you will like this too. :)

Thanks Belinda.

Thanks Kathryn. Just did!

You're welcome Jess.

If you like it, why not ya, Sonia. Yeah I saw your post on mochi cake also.

Hehe...thanks for sharing Anh.

Hehe...thanks BBOven.

Yes Cathy, it's the same flour to make tang yuan. If you don't want to use the red bean paste, please refer back to Anh's recipe or the original recipe.

Thanks Bits of Taste. :)

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

I never heard of this mochi cupcake..something interesting new to me...I bet it must taste good like Msian kuih!

MaryMoh said...

I would love this. Must be a little chewy probably. Would love to try, Thanks very much for sharing.

baby cribs said...

I found this blog a week ago. I try to bake this Red Bean Mochi Cupcakes. My kids told me that it is so yummy. But I think it is not that perfect yet. I will bake it again this weekend. I hope I do it perfectly.

tigerfish said...

The texture looks like Huat Kuih!

Food For Tots said...

Mochi cupcakes? I'm new to it. Looks so delicious! Love to try it out if I have red bean paste. ;)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Les, yeah it tasted like M'sian kuih, but healthier since no coconut milk is used and easier since it's just mix and bake. :P

You are welcome Mary Moh, mine is not that chewy, more toward soft and sticky. ;)

You can do it baby cribs! I'm so glad to read that you kids loved this mochi cake. :)

Tigerfish, it's nothing like huat kuih though. :P

F4T, feedback to me if you tried my recipe ya. :)

Joy said...

That looks great. I have made mochi cupcakes but I made them in chocolate. I have to try it with red bean. Thanks for the share.

Cathy Ng said...

I bake some today & they taste great! Tks! *^_^*

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome Joy, hope you like my version.

Glad you tried it and liked it, Cathy. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello

I am a novice baker and need some help here.

What is the meaning of beat eggs and sugar until fluffy? Is it beat until ribbon stage?

Thanks.
Feng

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Anon, not until ribbon stage, just until well mixed and sugar dissolved. I have changed the wording in my post. Happy Trying!

Sammi-licious said...

Was just wondering if these cuppies could b steamed instead of baked? I dont hav an oven at my new place...:(

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Sammi, I don't know. Never try steaming before. You can experiment.

Anonymous said...

I made these today and they were wonderful! After they cool down they're really chewy and moist. I used a mini muffin pan because I don't eat a lot of sweets and the bite size is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe =)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thank you for your feedback Anon, so glad you liked it. :)

hanushi said...

Hi LCOM,

I have just made some of these. I like them a lot and have linked to you. Thanks for sharing! :)