Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Deep Fried Oyster Mushrooms


I saw this recipe emerged during the Chinese New Year period.  Deep-fried oyster mushrooms, how interesting and said to be delicious.  I seldom do deep-frying so it has taken me a while to revisit this idea of deep-frying oyster mushrooms.  Speaking of which, I wonder why people only do this during Chinese New Year?  Since I have tried this, I got to say it is very delicious when just out of the deep-fryer, it is hot and crispy on the outside and slightly soft inside.  I was trying a new batter here and it turned soft when cold, so you got to eat this hot!  Or use your trusted batter recipe for this.


This is the fresh oyster mushrooms.  You can buy it at the Asian grocery store.  It is said to be able to lower the cholesterol levels because it is naturally contain lovastatin.  Asian eat this mushrooms a lot, we used it in soup and stir-fry.  I prefer the fresh one when comes to oyster mushrooms, the canned oyster mushroom has a smell that I dislike.





Ingredients:

  • Fresh oyster mushrooms, you can cut the bigger piece into half

Batter:
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup rice flour
  • 1 cup water
  • Salt to taste
  • White pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp. chicken stock granules
  • 1 Tbsp. Chinese cooking wine
  • 1/2 tsp.5 spice powder

Method:

1.  Quickly rinse the oyster mushrooms under water to clean.  Pad it dry with paper towel. Or you can brush or clean it with towel if you believe mushrooms are not supposed to be wash under water.

2.  Mix the batter in a bowl.  Whisk well until smooth. Heat up your wok or deep-fryer with cooking oil, when hot, turn to medium heat.

3.  Take one mushroom, dip in batter and slowly put into the wok to deep-fry, put 4-5 and deep-fry until golden brown.  Dish out and drain on paper towel before serving.  Best to eat it hot and crispy.  Turn soft when cold.

4.  You can serve this baby with Thai's sweet chili sauce or Maggi's sweet chili sauce or as is.

17 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love this dish! Love that this is deep fried.

Indonesia Eats said...

I usually use a mix between rice flour and candlenuts to get crispier texture. No all purpose flour at all.

Joy said...

I love deep fried mushrooms. I always had it with the regular button mushrooms. I can't wait to try it with oyster mushrooms.

Thao said...

Hmmm... looks delicious! American's deep fry mushrooms to eat with ranch as an appetizer so why not oyster mushroom?! Yummy. I use these mushrooms in fish congee. Makes the broth super super sweet.

ICook4Fun said...

I never have fried mushrooms before but I did bookmarked a few to try out. I have to try it out someday.

Alice said...

Hi,
Do you know of any batter recipe that can keep food crispy for a long time?
Thanks,
Alice

Unknown said...

i bet they're delicious! But I am really really really too lazy to deep fry...maybe you'll post an oven friendly alternative soon? heheheh

tigerfish said...

I will buy ready-made deep-fried oyster mushrooms snack! cos seldom deep fry too :p

Babe_KL said...

nice. the vegetarian shops here will cook these deep fried mushrooms with sweet and sour sauce.

Jackie said...

oyster mushrooms is easily available here, not expensive and healthy.

thanks for sharing another way of eating :)

Jun Indochine Kitchen said...

I love everything deep-fried! The mushroom looks very inviting! Great recipe

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

after deep fried, you may cook it again in sweet and sour way, also nice.

teatea said...

looks very tempting :) must be a nice dish, hope to try it one of these days.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Belinda, deep fried makes anything tastes better. :P

Thanks for the tips Indo-Eat, will try that next time. :)

Next time I will try it with button mushrooms, Joy. Have not thought of that. :P

Thao, never thought of putting it in congee, what an idea. Thanks!

Gert, not bad at all.

Alice, I like my self-raising flour batter. Just self-raising flour, seasonings (whatever you like) and a little water to make it into a thick batter. This stay crispy for a long time, even when it's cold.

Rita, what a great idea to use an oven, hmmm...have to think of that.

Tigerfish, you can buy it in Cali? I don't see them selling it here.

Babe_kl, with sweet and sour sauce, great tips, thanks.

You are welcome Jackie. :)

Thanks Jun.

Sonia, yeah I just learned from babe_kl, that's how the Malaysian cooked this dish. ;)

Thanks teatea. Can try when you are planning to do deep-frying the next time. :)

mysimplefood said...

You will be surprised but I am not a fan of mushroom. yeah...I get all the eyes rolled and what??!!! But deep fried ahem...worth a try :)

Jessica said...

Would ordinary mushrooms do, such as a portabello for this recipe. Just in case I can't find any oyster mushrooms, that is.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Little Corner of Mine said...

Haha mysimplefood, anything deep-fried makes it sounds more acceptable huh?

Jessica, portabello mushrooms should be fine, just slice it into pieces first, or you can use button mushrooms.