Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spicy Eggplant Top with White Chicken Bits (炒辣茄子鸡)

















I had a spicy eggplant version with ground pork and this is my another version with chicken bits.  This is of course healthier than ground pork as ground pork that we get in the store usually have lots of fat in it, unless you make your own ground pork with lean pork.  Since I always have skinless and boneless chicken breasts at home, why not I just cut it into tiny bits (instead of ground chicken) like a 鸡球 to substitute the ground pork.  I also used a different sauce for this, this is the sauce I used to stir-fry my kangkong belacan or any spicy Malaysian style vegetable.  My short-cut sauce that I can easily buy it in any Asian store here.


















Ingredients:
  • 1 Japanese eggplant, cut
  • 1/4 cup of dried shrimps, soften
  • Half boneless and skinless chicken breast, flatten and cut into tiny pieces/diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Shrimp paste in oil (from Thailand), about 2-3 tsp.
  • Chili paste (sambal oelek), 1 tsp. (more if you like it HOT)
  • Fish sauce, 1 tsp.
  • Sugar, 1 tsp.
Method:

1.  Mix the cut eggplant with a little salt and olive oil.  Bake in preheated 400'F oven for 10 minutes on lined aluminum foil.   Set aside.

2.  Heat up your wok with some canola oil.  When heated, add in garlic and dried shrimps, fry until fragrant without burning the garlic, add in tiny chicken bits, stir-fry until chicken is cooked.

3.  Add in eggplant, shrimps paste in oil, and fry until fragrant.  Add in chili paste, fish sauce and sugar.  Stir well and dish out to serve.

17 comments:

My Asian Kitchen said...

I like to use chicken meat when cooking too..Yesterday I just have spicy chinese eggplant..hehehe!!

MaryMoh said...

This looks very delicious. I can cook this and enjoy it all alone...no one to fight with :P I'm the only one who likes eggplant. My family doesn't know what good food they miss...haha

Christine said...

Wow this looks really healthy. I love eggplant. I love looking for ways how to cook it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I sure will try this out!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Great one-dish meal! Just need some rice and we can start eating already! :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this is simple and yummy!

Baking Fiend said...

ohhhh... this one i *heart*!

Unknown said...

very good idea to use chicken and make it healthier. i always love how eggplant absorbs all kinds of sauce.

tigerfish said...

I seldom cook eggplant - find that it absorbs too much oil.

I like to steam my eggplants with minced garlic and ginger, then drizzle final dish with sesame oil and a little soy sauce.

Noob Cook said...

I like it hot :) the eggplant looks great with the chicken.

Anh said...

I love eggplant so this is a great reipe for me to try...

Retno Prihadana said...

I used to make spicy eggplant too, yummy with rice :). Combine with chicken sounds interesting.

Little Corner of Mine said...

We do love spicy eggplant eh, Les!

MaryMoh, no one fighting the eggplant in my house too, that was all for me. hehehe...

You're welcome Christine.

Yup Ju!

Thanks Sonia.

Me too baking fiend.

Yup Rita.

Tigerfish, me too. I baked it and only add in with the stir-fried at the end. But yours is sure healthier.

Thanks noobcook.

Hope you like it Anh.

Spicy eggplant sure yummy Retno, goes so well with rice.

lim said...

Hi,

I would love to try this recipe as it looks so yummy! Can you please tell me what is the "Shrimp paste in oil (from Thailand)" that you have in the recipe? If you have a picture of the ingredient/bottle/jar, that would be great. Thanks so much!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Lim,
Here's the link to the picture of the shrimps paste I used.
http://www.templeofthai.com/food/chili_pastes/shrimppastewithsoyabeanoil-5541300221.php

daphne said...

I miss eggplant!! Hubby doesnt like eggplant too much- but my fav is done the way u have cooked it. SPICY!

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Yum this post made me hungry! I love eggplant and dried shrimp...

Roxy Te said...

Oh I want to make this! I love eggplant and my hub is half Thai and likes it hot!!! :)