Thursday, March 25, 2010

Nam Yee Chicken Pieces

















Since I bought a bottle of Nam Yee (fermented red bean cubes) to make Chicken Biscuit (Kai Chai Peng), it had been left unattended.  I was not familiar with Nam Yee and that was my first bottle.  I searched the web for recipes that I could possibly use with Nam Yee and collected a few that I could try out.  One of it was fried chicken wings with nam yee. Click read more for my version of the recipe.  I hardly buy chicken wings anymore because I don't want to encourage my girls to eat chicken wings.  And the best alternative I found was chicken thigh which I would cut away the skin and fat before chopping into pieces.

We gave it a thumb up!  The cornstarch gave it a nice crunch and the nam yee gave it a unique taste.  You do get the crunch without the skin!  Next time I would try a bake version, as this will be healthier than deep-frying.



















Ingredients:

6 pieces of skinless chicken thighs, cut off half of the meat and chop off the bone part into half

Marinade overnight with:
  • 2 pieces of nam yee, smashed
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • Dashes of garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. ShaoXing wine
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Extra cornstarch for coating

Method:

1.  Mix chicken pieces with marinade and marinate overnight.

2.  Heat your wok with enough oil for deep-frying.  In a plate, add in some cornstarch for coating.  Take one of the chicken piece and coat with cornstarch, shake off excess flour and slowly drop into hot oil.

3.  Deep-fry on both side until golden brown and cooked through.  Drain on paper towel and serve warm.



14 comments:

Food For Tots said...

Oh! The chicken pieces are calling me! Yummy!

ICook4Fun said...

I too just bought a bottle of Nam Yee thinking of making fried chicken with it. Sometime it is difficult to avoid fried food as they taste so good :)I guess moderation is the key.

Big Boys Oven said...

wow! this is my favourite, just can't have enough of them! full with bursting flavours! ;)

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe! I like the crunch cornflour gives to fried foods - I like using it to coat pieces of fish before frying.

MaryMoh said...

I love name yee and can just imagine the lovely taste of these chicken pieces. I have to try this. I always use chicken thigh too. I hardly deep fry my food so I may go for baking.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Yum! I've never tried this before but I just may now.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

recently I fried this for my kids, they also give thumbs up! yummy.

Baking Fiend said...

hmm never was a fan of Nam Yee... my mom loves it tho. :P

Noob Cook said...

This is something new to me and it looks really delicious :)

tigerfish said...

Wah, my favorite is Chicken Wings leh! How come you don't let your girls eat chicken wings? Only skin, no meat ah? ;p

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Wow, looks REALLY crispy!! Like KFC, but I am sure tastes even better. :)

SIG said...

Oh ya C, I have an award for you.

SIG said...

Do u not give wings because it's where they inject the hormones jabs? I heard something like that. But it remains my favourite part of the chicken. However, I give my girl the thigh too as is the most tender, but like u said, it can get fatty so I make sure I remove the fats too.

Unknown said...

oh ching...if i hv no morning sickness i think i can eat a bucket of this...yumm i love nam yue flavor

my friend normally marinate chicken in nam yue then bring for bbq...so definitely taste good grilled