Monday, March 08, 2010

Golden Ingots

 


















Sorry for the bad pictures because it was taken at night.  I saw this Golden Ingots at Daily Affairs and decided to give it a try.  It was really an interesting idea and very suitable for Chinese New Year.  The bottom layer was fried beancurd puff (taufu pok) and topped with meat ball of sort. 

I prepared it in the afternoon and took an un-fried version.  The natural lighting made the food looks so good.  Too bad I was just too lazy to fried some just to take the finished products for this post.  I used ground pork and water chestnut for mine with my own seasonings.




The finished products, really looked like golden ingots right?  Actually my beancurd puffs was different from her, mine was the small one and frankly I had no idea how to cut it and flip it over like her.  For mine, I cut it diagonally into half and flip it over and place the meatball on top.

It was really crispy when fried.  But it will turn soft when cold.  So, serve immediately after deep-frying.  It can soak up pretty much oil too, so remember to drain on paper towel before serving.





14 comments:

The Cooking Ninja said...

ooh...these looks very good. :) I like the idea of it. Do u use fresh water chestnuts or canned one?

Sook said...

I haven't had anything like these... They look yummy!

SIG said...

Mine actually didn't turn soft when cold so maybe it's the taupok else is the way it was fried? I cut it on one of the four sides and not diagonally. Sorry I didn't have a photo to show how I did it. After cutting it, get your fingers in the pouch to loosen the inside n gently flip it over.

sock peng said...

i like it

Noob Cook said...

it's so creative! I never thought of combining taupok and pork to make golden ingots. it really resembles!

Sweet Jasmine said...

So this is call golden ingots. What a nice name. I cut for a criss cross on top of tau pok and flip it over and it will look like a flower.

daphne said...

what great little snacks- and how appropriate for CNY or any pot luck!

tigerfish said...

If you could serve it with some soup dishes, maybe the fried tau pok will re-absorb some gravy. I think the hakka yong tau foo sometimes have similar but served in gravy.

MaryMoh said...

Looks delicious. Great for parties.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Cooking Ninja, I used canned one. :)

Thanks Sook, it is crispy and delicious, you should try.

SIG, it must be the taupok I used, the one I got very small.

Thanks SP.

Yes noobcook, you should try it. ;)

Wow Jasmine, I like your way of cutting it and make it looks like flower too. Next time I will try different way of cutting the taupok.

Yes Daphne, I think so too.

Yes Tigerfish, but it won't be crispy anymore. Just another way of eating it.

Thanks MaryMoh, it is.

Michelle said...

Hi! I think the tau poks we get here won't be big or piable enough to turn inside out. You can also try minced hay bee (dried shrimp) and mushroom with your meat mixture, it is very delish!

Little Corner of Mine said...

I like that idea, thanks Michelle. :)

Crystal said...

Looks good either way!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I cooked this before, learnt from my sister-in-law, but I have no long did not cook this dish, ok, must cook soon.