Sunday, March 21, 2010

Delicious Chocolate Banana Cupcakes

















I had to put delicious up there in the title because it was delicious.  I used my marbled banana chocolate cake recipe and made it into chocolate banana cupcakes.  I invited few friends for a play date and decided to make something for coffee/tea in the afternoon.  I made this along with some chocolate chips cookies and I just realized all my snack have chocolate chips in it!

The cupcake was soft, moist, chocolaty and tasted like banana.  Truly delectable!  I added chocolate chips because my girls loved them.  I had to stop them from eating more because this was meant to be shared. ;)  At the play date, I noticed that all the kids would pick out the chocolate chips to eat first, my girls included. :)  If you like my recipes, put this on your to-try list, you won't be disappointed.

















I saw this butterfly silicon cupcake cups at Target and had to buy it, it was 6 for $1 at the Dollar section, how cheap.  It was so cute too and I regretted I didn't pick up the flower silicon cups for the same price, as when I went back, it was all gone. :(  I guess you paid for quality too, this had some broken pieces and the silicon was pretty thin, but it's usable.


















How it looked from the bottom. 

Ingredients:

(A)

  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
  • 2 bananas, smashed (I used frozen)

(B)

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

(C)

  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (microwave [900watt] for 1 min 40 seconds) 

  • Extra chocolate chips for decoration (optional)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 350'F. Line a baking pan with silicon cupcake cups or line some paper cups in muffin pan. Set aside.


2. In a big bowl, hand whisk together (A). Add in (B), whisk until well blended.


3. Add in (C) and whisk to combine.


4. Use a big spoon and scoop some of the batter into the silicon cups, slightly less than 3/4 full.
  Place some chocolate chips on top for decoration (optional).

5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a bamboo stick inserted in center comes out clean.


6. Cool on wire rack and store in air-tight container.

 


19 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Looks moist and delicious. I love adding bananas to cakes....just love the beautiful flavour.

Skychio said...

Hi Ching,
Do you know Florence(Do What I Like)'s email contact? Didn't get the chance to join her blog. Would like to contact her to ask for permission. Thanks.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oooh, they look adorable! Soft and moist too.

Sook said...

These cupcakes look fabulous! Bananas and chocolate go so well together.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love the shape of them!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

ya, the cups are cute, and the chocolate banana cupcakes looks good too.

tigerfish said...

6 cups for $1 is cheap! :D

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

Ah how cute! Butterfly cupcakes! I LOVE anything with chocolate and banana in it so this has to be good.

And I miss Target so much! Boo. Singapore doesn't have any close substitute unfortunately... Whenever I'm back in the States I spend a few good solid hours there...

Noob Cook said...

I love the combination of choc and bananas. They looked moist and yummy :)

Michelle said...

This looks SO GOOD!!!!! Yummy!

Crystal said...

I made these (and linked you!) but without the melted chocolate, and I had butterscotch chips instead of chocolate (all I had) and I added cinnamon.

I have had such horrible luck with banana muffin recipes and I am pleased to say yours will be written down in my recipe book! Finally a winner! :D

Anh said...

The silicon cups are cute indeed. I got some the other day and finally out them to use. Not bad :D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks MaryMoh, me too!

Sorry Skychio, I am clueless.

Thanks Ju.

Yes Sook, you should give it a try!

Me too Belinda.

Thanks Sonia.

I know Tigerfish, that's why I got it. :P

Haha Clare, well at least you can still come here and shop!

Thanks noobcook.

Thanks Michelle, try it!

Luckily you gave it a try Crystal, now you have it in your recipe book for whenever the mood strike. :)

Anh, the silicon cup is great but harder to wash especially with the funny shape.

SIG said...

Wow I love the cups n the cupcakes! Very nice indeed. Hope to try soon.

My Asian Kitchen said...

cute shape cupake!! that right,you paid for the quality!! I think Wilton's one have better quality than Dollar store!

Unknown said...

Hi, firstly thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes! I am very new to baking, and today I attempted to make this Chocolate Banana cupcakes & your strawberry yogurt cupcakes. One problem i have is that, both my cupcakes did not turn out light & fluffy like the pics you posted. Mine turned out very moist & dense. Hmm??? I wonder if you can share some tips on how to get that fluffy texture? Many thanks!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Alicia,
Hmmmm....not sure how it would be dense, as this recipe is very simple, just mix everything in a big bowl and bake. You might have over mix the batter. Just mix until it is blended would do, you don't have to keep stirring it.

Unknown said...

Hi, firstly I like to apologize. It was my mistakes of converting the amount of flour wrongly, thus resulting in a dense cupcake as opposed to a fluffy one.

I made a 2nd attempt of baking these cupcakes again, and it turn out very nice!! Moist & fluffy!

I also made a 2nd attempt at baking your strawberry yogurt cupcakes again, and it turn out very yummy too! But I have one question, how do i get a flat top cupcake? I tried many ways of filling the cupcakes to different levels (1/2 full, 2/3 full & 3/4 full), but they all still rise up to a dome shape. Could it be I'm not whisking it well enough? Or too much whisking?

Thanks again for your advices!

Alicia

Cupcake recipes said...

It looks wonderful in it’s pure simplicity. What lovely flavors! Looks amazing! Thank you for the details.