Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chicken Noodle (Shells) Soup




















Evy was diagnosed with ear infection recently.  It was her first and since she didn't complain about her ear ache, I had no way to know.  It got worst when her ear infection caused her to have high fever and coughs.  Finally we took her to see her pediatrician because we thought she might have flu or H1N1 because the fever was high like 103.7'F.  Then, it was diagnosed to be ear infection resulted from stuffy nose and caused the high fever because it was already inflamed.  She was given antibiotic for 10 days.  How magical was the antibiotic, just one dose and she was feeling much better.  I gave her the ibuprofen for the fever and pain as well.  Just like the pediatrician said, she would be herself and ready to go to school again.


I thought she was suffering from flu and wanted her to drink more fluid and lighter meal.  So, I created this chicken shells soup for her.  I only had shells pasta at home thus the used of shell pasta.  I added mixed vegetable so that she could have some veggie in her diet.  This will definitely be something I would cook when someone is not feeling well at home.


I'm sharing this noodle with Presto Pasta Nights, an event created by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast This week host is Aqua from Served with Love  Do go and check out her delicious pasta round up tomorrow, March, 19th! 





















Ingredients:

  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 white/yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 8 grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1/2 roasted chicken breast (from store), shredded
  • 1/2 cup shells 
  • 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetable
  • Italian seasonings
  • Salt to taste
  • Black Pepper
  • Chicken or vegetable stock

Method:

1.  In a medium size saucepan, add in some olive oil, about 1-2 Tbsp.  Add in onion and stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in bay leaf, stir-well.  Add in grape tomatoes and stir-well.

2.  Add in frozen mixed vegetable and shredded chicken breast, stir well.  Add a little salt to season the ingredients.  Add in chicken or vegetable stock, quite a lot because it is a soup and you want to cook the shell pasta too.

3.  Add in the shell pasta, stir and let it simmer until the pasta is cooked.  Season to taste with Italian seasonings and black pepper.

4.  Take out the bay leaf before serving.




14 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Looks delicious and inviting in this cold weather. I've been cooking a lot of chicken soup these few months to help keep warm.

lishapisa said...

looks so good and simple! yum

Anh said...

Hopefully the little one will be better soon.

I like quick stuff like this. Perhaps I should share mine :D

Belinda @zomppa said...

Sorry she's not feeling well, but this hearty mom's soup will do the trick! You're a rockin' mom. =)

JOy said...

I love this soup. I grew up eating it every new years :D

tigerfish said...

Hope Evy has completely recovered by now. The chicken shells soup is sure comforting. I find that the virus/bac infection in the US is quite "evil". Takes a long time to recover from one, even for adults.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Poor Evy! And poor mommy too! Parents feel the pain of their children. Hope she is all well again, with mommy's TLC.

Ruth Daniels said...

I do hope your chicken soup - ok, and the penicillin - cured your princess. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

The Food Hunter said...

Comfort in a bowl.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks MaryMoh, I only cook this when someone is sick. :P

Thanks lishapisa.

Thanks Anh, she is well now. :)

She is well now Belinda, thanks.

Joy, every new year huh? Is it a tradition in your family?

Yes, she is Tigerfish, thanks. Yeah, it took about 2 weeks to recover, with the help of antibiotic. :P

Thanks for your concern Ju. She is well now.

Yes Ruth, thanks for dropping by.

Exactly Food Hunter. :)

Noob Cook said...

wishing your girl a full recovery soon. this is such a comforting and nutritious bowl.

Joanne said...

I hope she is feeling better! Antibiotics are definitely amazing.

This soup looks like it is definitely good, for both the body and soul!

daphne said...

oh dear, hope she is feeling better soon. This is certainly comfort to me and I know if I am sick- I would appreciate this. Thanks for reminding me that simple is great!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Looks like a nourishing bowl of soup!