Sunday, February 07, 2010

Stir Fried Roasted Pork Belly with Dark Soy Sauce



My mom used to cook this for us with the leftover roasted pork (siew york) when we were little. This is definitely a childhood memory dish for me. I love love roasted pork belly when I was young, I remember whenever we go to the chicken rice stall, I would request for siew york. And then when I was in my teenage years, I started to be more health conscious and hardly ever touch any pork fat and chicken skin anymore. And when I moved to the States, in a small town with hardly any Asian population, there was no roasted pork belly in sight. It was something that you couldn't buy with money. Luckily now I live an hour away from Denver, so roasted pork belly is selling in most authentic Chinese restaurants and easy to come by. We still eat it sparingly as frankly it is not a healthy food choice at all. But it is a childhood dish so once in a very long time is acceptable for me. Recently my hubby bought a big slab of roasted pork from Denver and we had some leftover, so I slice it thinly and made this delicious dish.

Note:

Yeah I don't know why the people don't know how to slice the roasted pork like in M'sia/S'pore. We sliced it so nicely thin and arrange it so nicely for the customer (we can see the roasted skin, layers of fat and meat). But here, they just simply chop it however they want and in disorganized big pieces that I couldn't see all the layers and meat. Now I know, we have to cut it ourselves when order it again.






Ingredients:

  • Roasted Pork Belly [siew york]
  • Garlic, about 3 gloves, chopped
  • Dark soy sauce to taste
  • A little sugar

Method:

1. In a wok, heat up some oil. When hot, add in the siew york and fry until slightly brown. Add in garlic and fry it together.

2. Add in the dark soy sauce and sugar to taste. Quickly fry to mix well and dish out to serve.


18 comments:

mycookinghut said...

This is my child hood dish too!! My mom also uses left over siew yok to make into a dish like this.. thanks for sharing this !!

Ed Schenk said...

I haven't cooked pork belly before. Thank for the introduction.

housewife50 said...

Hi!

My mum did the same thing to the leftover steamed chicken and `loh' duck during festivals. Ya,nice nostalgic food of yesteryears..

I love roasted belly pork and still eat them pretty regularly. You can try it out yourself when the craving kicks in. Marinate the belly pork with salt and 5 spice powder. Dry and score the skin. Roast it in a convection oven at 180C for an hr before turning it up to 250C to crisp the skin during the last 10mins or so.

Take care!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I loooooooooooooooove pork belly! This is sooooooooooo good. Yum yum yummy.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I looooooooooooove pork belly!! This is soooooooooooooooo delicious.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This remind me how my mum used to cook this way for leftover roasted pork belly, look so yummy!

SIG said...

How you slice it affects the taste. Maybe we SG/Malaysians r more particular?

My Asian Kitchen said...

oh!! mine this is my favourite comfort dish!! sometime I purposely buy siew yoke and fried this dish..I prefer spicy and sweet,eat 2 plates of white rice..yummy!!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Oh yes!! Childhood memories of eating this. In fact my grandma still does this for us. :)

Charmaine said...

I love to stir-fry siew yoke as well esp with bitter gourd and 'tau cheong'. Yours look so fragrant that I can almost smell and taste it.

Food For Tots said...

I'm not a big fan of pork belly. Speaking of child hood dish, I have a never-ending list now. ;)

ICook4Fun said...

My mom used to cook this for us too with the leftover roasted pork and steam chicken but she added some onions to it too. That reminds me that I have to eat some before going back :)

Big Boys Oven said...

hahahah this is my all time favourite dish! goes so well with anything! :)

Noob Cook said...

Now I learn a new dish to make with the leftover roasted pork :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

You're welcome mycookinghut, most of our moms used to prepare this dish ya.

You're welcome Ed.

Housewife50, my mom did the same thing with leftover steamed chicken too. LOL! Thanks for sharing your roasted pork belly recipe, but me healthy conscious leh. :P

I can see how much you love pork belly, Belinda. :P

Thanks Sonia.

SIG, I think so too, but here the way they sliced it is a NO NO.

Lesley, this dish is easy and delicious.

Lucky you Ju! I miss eating home cook meal from older generation.

Interesting Charmine, never have it with bitter gourd and tau cheong before. I need to eat more bitter gourd, every time if I buy, I'm the only eat it.

F4T, cool, need to check it out.

Because it is Sook, simply and delicious.

Haha Gert, do enjoy plenty ya!

Agreed BBOven!

Yes Noobcook, do try!

ahteekitchen said...

My mum always add in some dry chilli and the aroma comes better!^^

daphne said...

Awesome! My grandmade roast this every week- my favourite. and I used to stand at the kitchen counter hoping she will let me have a few pieces before she cooks it with dark soya sauce! Brings me back memories.

tigerfish said...

I still like the skin and fats (die lah!) ;p