Monday, December 28, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Muffins



Do you ever have some apples sitting in the refrigerator for weeks that no one wants to eat? I always have a few sitting there. One day, I was out of bread so I decided to make some apple muffins for breakfast; one, I could get rid of the apple; two, we could have muffins for breakfast. I wanted this muffin to be healthier too so I used some whole wheat flour, canola oil and lots of apple. I always love muffin with crumbs topping but that would means added fat as normally it is made with butter, flour and brown sugar. So, my healthier alternative would be cornflakes cereal for the extra crunch. It is really crunchy and delicious when eaten on the same day. But the cereal will turn soft the next day when kept in an air-tight container, but not to worry, just toast it for 4-5 minutes in the toaster oven to crisp it up and warm the muffin before consuming. Enjoy! It also makes an healthier snack compared to cupcakes packed with frosting.





Yield about 12 big muffins (shown above) or 18 small cupcake size muffins.

Ingredients:


(A)


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (use all-purpose flour if you don't have this at home)
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon powder
(B)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk (2% or skim)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
(C)
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped apple (from one large apple, cored, peeled and chopped)

Crunchy Topping:
Cornflakes cereal (optional)


Method:


1. Preheat oven to 400'F. Line the muffin pan with paper muffin cups.


2. In a large bowl, add in (A). Whisk to combine.


3. Make a hole in the center, add in (B). Whisk to blend well.
And whisk or stir everything into a batter (with a whisk or a spatula).

4. Add in (C). Stir with a spatula to combine.


5. Scoop into paper muffin cups less than 3/4 cup full (as it will rise up when baking). Sprinkle the top with cornflakes cereal for extra healthy crunchy topping.


6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool completely before storage.



9 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

wow I am glowing my eyes at this early morning drooling at those muffins! I need some milk now! :)

tracieMoo said...

these muffins would make good breakfast! I'm sure the smell of cinnamon right in the morning would be great..

Unknown said...

ohhh the cornflakes topping made them look so pretty!

i love apples in baked goods, although i hate eating apples :D

Noob Cook said...

I like the ease which u whip up all these bakes based on the ingredients u have. I usually have to follow instructions precisely or they fail. They look healthy n delish :)

teatea said...

Hi

These apple cinnamon muffins looks health n yummy, i think the taste is nice n crunchy too.

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

creative and interesting..maybe I should use my leftover apple for bread or muffin too:)

tigerfish said...

hahha..i have one bag of apples now that nobody wants to eat cos the apples do not taste sweet. But I don't bake and don't have those baking ingredients leh....how?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look nice and delicious.

Little Corner of Mine said...

BBOven, I am enjoying one now with coffee. Yum!

Yes Tracie, good breakfast indeed.

Thanks Rita, I thought so too.

Thanks noobcook, yeah I have the gift of creating my own recipe. :P

Yes teatea, I think so too.

Why not Lesley, apple in bakes is pretty common. ;)

Tigerfish, go juice it with some carrot! The apple will be gone in an instant and the juice will be delicious from the sweetness of carrot. Or you can make chunky apple sauce with your slow cooker (let me know if you need recipe).

Thanks Sonia.