Thursday, November 12, 2009

Curry Chick Peas with Chicken



Chickpeas also known as Garbanzo beans are high in dietary fiber, low in fat and a good source of protein, zinc and folate. In Malaysia, we called it chickpeas and it is normally associated with Indian cuisine. I remembered I used to have it in the form of boiled/steamed white chickpeas in con shape wrapped paper (or newspaper) in the night market as snack. It was ages ago, not sure whether they still sell it like that. Today, I buy chickpeas already cooked in a canned. Just need to drain and rinse before use, how easy is that? Since in my mind, chickpeas is good with curry and I just bought my favorite Madras Indian curry powder, this is how I am going to cook it. Very easy and my girls loved the chickpeas too, even though this was the first time I bought it and introduced it to them. Guess, from now on, chickpeas will be a regular in my shopping list.





Ingredients:

  • 1 (15.5 oz) can of premium chick peas/ Garbanzos, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 of large yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 chicken breasts, sliced (I used 2 leftover fried chicken breasts, you can use leftover turkey breast too)
  • 2-3 tsp. Madras curry powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3/4 cup water
  • Splash of fish sauce
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
  • Dash of salt

Method:

1. Heat up your frying wok. When heated, add in oil. Then the sliced onion, dash of salt and stir-fry until soften. Add the raw chicken now (if use) and fry until chicken is cooked.


2. Add Madras curry powder & bay leaf, stir well with the onion. Add the water, stir well. Add the chick peas, stir-well. Add leftover chicken now (if use). Season with fish sauce and sugar. Fry well and until sauce is thicken. Serve hot!



8 comments:

Ling's Passion said...

You can still get chick pea from the night market. But the sellers have upgraded to using plastic bags instead of wrapping in paper. I love chick pea, too especially in salad.

Baking Fiend said...

i love chickpeas too! and we call those the kacang puteh man in sg when they go ard selling tibits packed in little white cones. it's been a long time since i last had some!

ICook4Fun said...

I remember eating this boiled chick pea or kacang kuda during school days. There was this kacang putih guy selling right outside the school gate :)

tigerfish said...

I want to try that!

daphne said...

I love chickpeas! What a lovely way to have it in a curry- I usually add it in indian curries too!

Chibog in Chief said...

Chick peas and chicken sounds gorgeous!! This is definitely a recipe to try!

megan said...

I made something similar to this, and my husband absolutely loved it. the best part was it reheated wonderfully so we had good food for many days :)

Unknown said...

brilliant idea! i am sooo inspiredddd! easy and yummy for dinner