Deep-fried food, hardly anyone can resist. Deep-fried beancurd rolls with seaweed, give me anytime! I finally bought some frozen beancurd sheet at my last visit to the Asian market and I was so eager to try this out. Of course my homemade version was not as pretty as I made the rolls too long. So, when I tried to roll the seaweed around, I noticed that it looked weird with just one seaweed wrapped around it, so I wrapped two seaweeds, one on each end with the thought that I could cut it in half and made a better presentation. And thus tada! This beancurd sheet is actually the vegetarian version of the pork fat sheet that we used to make "5 spice meat roll" (五香肉).
You can serve it with Thai sweet chili sauce, Maggi chili sauce or Japanese mayo.
- Ground chicken from 1 skinless chicken breast (can process it in a food processor)
- Minced shrimps from 8 large shrimps
- 4 Chinese dried mushroom, soften and diced
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- A little ginger, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp. rice wine
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Dash of white pepper
- Frozen beancurd sheet, defrost, use as needed (about 3/4 sheet)
- Japanese sushi seaweed sheet, use as needed (about 2 sheets)
Before cutting in half, notice that the roll with expand during deep-frying and made it tighter.
1. In a bowl, mix (A) together and stir until it bind together. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
2. Take the defrosted beancurd sheet, cut into rectangle shape pieces. Set aside. Prepare a bowl of water.
3. Dip one piece of cut beancurd sheet into the bowl of water until soften. Take it out and place some filling in the middle, roll it up and seal it. Finish the rest.
4. Take a piece of seaweed sheet, use a scissor and cut into 1 cm length. Prepare some cornstarch water as glue (1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 1 Tbsp. water). Roll the seaweed on the beancurd roll and seal the end with the cornstarch water glue. Finish the rest.
5. Heat a wok with medium heat hot oil. Test with a wooden chopstick, when bubbles, it's ready. Drop 4-6 beancurd rolls into the hot oil, deep-fry until golden brown and the filling is cooked. Can take one and cut into half to make sure it's cooked inside. Finish the rest.
6. Drain on paper towel. Cut it into half to serve. Or if you make the smaller one, just serve it whole. Serve warm with condiment of your choice!