Sunday, August 02, 2009

Emperor Herbal Chicken



I bought few packets of A1 Emperor Chicken Spices when I was in Malaysia. Today, I wanted to try something different with it instead of the usual baking or steaming the chicken. I simmered the chicken instead and added wood ear fungus and wolfberries/ Goji berries/"ke chi". I loved this version too, truly flavorful and delicious.





Ingredients:

  • 1 packet A1 Emperor chicken spices
  • 8 chicken drumsticks, chop into 2 or 3 pieces each
  • 1/8 cup of wolfberries
  • 1 cup of wood ear fungus
  • Few thin slices of gingers
  • Cooking oil

Method:

1. Add a little oil in a pot. Add in ginger slices and fry until fragrant. Add in cut chicken pieces and fry until slightly brown on the outside. Add in water to almost cover.

2. Add in Emperor chicken spices, wood ear fungus and wolfberries, stir to mix well. Let it simmer in low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours or until chicken is soften.

12 comments:

TINTIN said...

I have tried the Emperor Herbal Chicken spices before, it's yummy!

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

good idea to simmer Emperor herbs!! this is truly a comfort food!!

Noob Cook said...

Yummy! I love Chinese herbs. I bought a packet of Emperor chicken herbs some time ago but I've yet to cook it. Perhaps I should soon, hee

Unknown said...

you stewed a baked/steamed chicken dish and i grill what's supposedly astewed chicken dish ^_^

Chibog in Chief said...

This looks like both healthy and a delicious chicken dish !!

tigerfish said...

I can smell the herbal aroma of this dish...nice.

Big Boys Oven said...

wow this dish of yours looks amazingly delicious!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is good, especially for busy mum like us, throw all ingrediants inside a pot and just simmer it..Thanks for sharing.

daphne said...

hehee.. I baked this but steaming looks soo good too.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I know TinTin, is my must buy whenever I go back to M'sia.

Thanks beachlover.

Yes noobcook, try it!

Hehe Rita.

It is Dhanggit. I simply loved it.

Thanks Tigerfish.

Thanks BBOven.

No problem Sonia. I like simmering a lot, like you said, just throw it in. :P

Daphne, I baked mine too, but this time I don't have a whole chicken, only drumsticks so decided to try it this way.

Babe_KL said...

wat a great idea to simmer instead of double boiling the whole chicken :D

Food For Tots said...

I love this dish. Simple, healthy and delicious!