Thursday, July 16, 2009

Green Tea Castella or Matcha Kasutera



We were going away for a three days two nights camping trip and I wanted something easy to serve as breakfast. What easier than having two pieces of cake and a cup of instant 3 in 1 coffee or milk tea? Since I made the Castella cake earlier and we all loved it, that sponge cake was my easy picked. I read that the original Japanese sponge cake does not called for oil/butter/margarine so I was interested in experimenting. However, I was too careful to remove all the oil because I was afraid that it might be too dry thus I reduced half of the oil and some sugar. I added 1/2 tablespoon of green tea powder for a change too. Since I reduced the oil, I also tried the method mentioned in my previous post that was to place the cake in the refrigerator while still warm but I didn't brush the top with honey water (I didn't want it to be sticky).

The resulted cake had fine crumbs and more compact than my previous one. Still soft and light like a sponge cake with the tint fragrant of green tea. Still tasted good after reducing the oil.






Makes one 8×8 x 2-inch pan

Ingredients:

  • 5 large eggs
  • 150 grams granulated sugar
  • 200 grams all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp. green tea powder
  • 100 ml whole milk, at room temperature
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil


Method:

1. Grease the square pan with baking spray. Cut out a parchment paper the size of the pan for the bottom of the pan and place it on the pan, spray it with baking spray too. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Mix eggs and sugar with a stand-in mixer for about 5 minutes or until batter forms a ribbon when the wire whip is lifted, the color should be light yellow.
3. Whisk together the flour and green tea powder. With the mixer running on medium speed, pour the flour mixture into the batter slowly. Next add the milk, mix it well. Then add the honey and mix it again well. Last, add the oil and make sure it is incorporated into the batter thoroughly.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place it in the oven and bake for 10 minutes in 350 degree F. After that, lower the temperature to 325 degree F and bake for 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
5. Remove from the pan as soon as it is done. Place it on the cooling rack and when it's not too hot to handle (still warm), wrap with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least few hours. Then, take it out and let it sit at room temperature overnight wrapped. Cut it the next day.

11 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I love the addition of green tea powder. I love anything with green tea!

Baking Fiend said...

oh my... this looks so good! will attempt this version soon.

Sweet Jasmine said...

Nice to have somthing healthy for a change. Have a nice camping trip.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

No butter, I like this cake !!! Your cake look so moist and yummy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your receipe. I've tried making the castella cake but failed on both attempt. The cake doesnt rise like yours and the texture look more like kueh. I dont know what step have I gone wrong. How long do I need to beat the flour and the rest of the ingredient.Do I use the mixer throughtout the whole process and at what speed should I used. Sorry for asking so many question but would greatly appreciate if you could advise me.

Thanks & Regards
Mrs Tan

Little Corner of Mine said...

Me too noobcook, love the fragrant!

Thanks baking fiend. Not sure whether reducing the oil made it more compact, it's up to you whether you want to reduce the oil or not. ;)

Thanks Sweet Jasmine, we did have a great camping trip, will post up pictures tomorrow. :)

Thanks Sonia. We all loved this cake too.

Hi Mrs. Tan, I think you failed at first step if yours have kuih texture. For making sponge cake, the first step is critical, beating of eggs and sugar. You have to beat (at high speed) for 5 mins or so or until the volume increase a ton and when you try to write an 8 with the beaters, the shape will stay for few seconds. After that, you add other ingredients as mentioned in the steps but just beat until blended. Yes, I used the beaters all the way but very high speed on first step (the volume generated will determine the rise and success of your cake) and low speed on other steps. Hope with these tips, you will have a successful sponge cake next time. Good Luck!

ICook4Fun said...

I love green tea flavor in anything but not Carlos. So I hardly bake anything with it. I have to try this without the oil.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for your quick reply to my enquiry and advise. Wil try again another time.

Regards
Mrs Tan

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

look great and soft!! I should bake this castella one day,saoon:)

REBECCA said...

I just made your recipe, so delicious!! Thanks for posting. My new favorite blog. :-)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks for your feedback Rebecca, so glad you liked it.