Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rose Flavored Konnyaku Jelly



What these three ingredients combine into? A pretty in pink Konnyaku Jelly with kiwi seeds. As for konnyaku powder goes, I still very much prefer the Red man brand. The texture provided by this brand is more chewy as opposed to the other brand that I had tried. I bought these Red man kiwi seeds and konnyaku powder on my last trip home. I always fascinated by the kiwi seeds and so glad that I saw it on the shelf. Now that I have tasted it, I can let you know that this seed is for decoration only. You can't really taste the seeds while eating the jelly. But it sure add a little something to the jelly and makes it very pretty.



I made this rose jelly before and really loved the flavor it gave. So, I decided to share it with my readers. Of course you can omit the kiwi seeds if you don't have it. For the above, I just wanted to showcase the new Konnyaku jelly mold that I acquired at Ng Ming Huat, JB. I simply love the bears and turtles! I heard so much about Ng Ming Huat that while I was in JB, I just had to ask my hubby to bring me there. Luckily he still know the way after these many years. One thing I like to say about this shop is, it seriously needs expansion (or a bigger shop) and organization. The way I had to dig through some products, walked through that shop and came out with dirty hands, I also don't want to say more.

Ingredients:


Kiwi seeds (1/2 tsp. kiwi seeds and follow the package direction)
1 pkg of Red man Konnyaku powder
(10gm)
1 cup of white sugar

1/4 tsp. Rose essence (preferably the brand above)

950ml water


Method:

1. In a bowl, mix the konnyaku powder and sugar together. Set aside.

2. In a pot, add in the water and stir in (1) and the kiwi seeds. Turn on the heat and stir continuously until it boils. Turn off heat and stir for 5 minutes more or until no more bubbles.


3. Pour into the desired mold and let it set in the refrigerator for 3 hours.

For those who are unfamiliar with Konnyaku jelly can read about it here.

24 comments:

Beachlover said...

oh!! the mold look so cute!!..kiwi seed,good idea!

tigerfish said...

Well, many shops in Asia are very small...limited by space. For many times, I miss walking the supermarkets in the US because they are just so spacious and less crowded! I need to start getting used to small spaces and crowds! :(

Charmaine said...

Thanks for sharing the pics. Love the cute turtles. Must get this mould when I'm back in KL. Totally agree with you that Red Man is the best brand. I didn't know they sell Kiwi seeds separately.
Love your blog!

Lore said...

You rock! I can't believe you did those cute jelly turtles and bears yourself. Good job!

Retno Prihadana said...

My kids love these jelly. Add kiwi seeds new for me.

Sweet Jasmine said...

I use to buy this brand of konnyaku jelly powder and you can adjust the sweetness. Have not try out rose flavours yet.

SIG said...

Oh yes, I love that brand too. And Phoon huat has them in ready flavours. The one I made was mango. The blueberry is nice too and that will be the next on my list to make. I forgot to put the kiwi seeds as didn't realize they were in the fridge till yesterday. It gives it more colour. Also, althought tasteless there is a little crunchiness. :) Time for me to pick up some moulds. Maybe next week will go Phoon Huat.

Charmaine said...

Hi, I hope you don't mind but I have placed a link to your blog on my blog. It's my first time so still on 'L'. In reading your blog, I can relate to your experiences. I have two girls (9 and nearly 3). Thank you in advance.

Unknown said...

ching

did you bring me one of these cute moulds

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Beachlover.

You were right Tigerfish, I might be used to the spacious stores here. :P

Thanks Charming! Yes, get the mold, get everything you want when you are back!

Thanks Lore. Those were made using a mold actually. Hehe...

Retno, now you can look for this to buy. ;)

Sweet Jasmine, you can try the rose flavor next time.

D, I didn't see the Red Man ready flavors in Giant, only other brand which I bought one and tried and totally didn't like it. I didn't get to go to Phoon Huat too, it's hard when we were not the driver and we were supposed to visit relatives on that day. Man, wish I had more time in S'pore.

Hi Charming, I don't mind at all. :)

Sorry lah auntie Lily, you didn't say you want any mold. I thought you have animal mold already, no?

Sharon said...

Oh, I want to try one of those little guys out! My mom used to make me little jellies when I was a kid. Brings back good memories :)

Nilmandra said...

I used to make Konnyaku jelly a lot! Left all my moulds in Singapore, and can't get the ingredients here :( I need to take them with me the next time I go back!

Baking Fiend said...

Ching,

Great job with the jelly... love the crunchiness of the seeds but my DS dun take to it! Rose flavour is new to me. :) So happy that you got to go to NMH... it's really fascinating that they can cramp so many things into that small space.

Unknown said...

ching

just joking, but if you have one for me , i will take it

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I like the konnyaku jelly...never seen kiwi seeds in bottle form before...going to have to keep my eyes open.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sharon, do try, it's really good and refreshing!

Nilmandra, you better remember to take back your molds and bring back the Konnyaku powder too.

Hahaha baking fiend, yeah lor, they really can cramp so many things in there. I got stucked in one section because they were calculating the newly arrival stock (stacked boxes) in the middle of the only walk way. NMH is actually 2 mins away from my inlaws shop.

Hehe...sorry Lily, where got extra, this thing so bulky! I can only stock what I want since I hardly go back.

Hi Annie & Nate, it's not in a bottle but in a package.

Big Boys Oven said...

I love this type of jelly, so awesomely good!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
Your jelly look so cute ><.I'm living in Texas, do you know where can I buy those jelly powder?.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi
Are you living in the US? I'm leaving there and I'm wondering where I can buy those powder. Do you know?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yup BBOven! We love it too!

Hi Anon,
You can try online or ask someone who is coming over to buy it for you. You can't find this Konnyaku powder in the stores here.

Hi Sonia,
You are coming to U.S.? You can get this powder at Giant supermarket in M'sia/S'pore. You can also get this at the bakery supply shops at Taman Megah, PJ.

Unknown said...

Hi there, I saw som konnyaku jelly at the grocery but not like the ones you have shown. Mine is in a smaller packet. If I follow your rose konnyaku jelly koi w/fruits inside, how much ounces or gram, etc...should I use. Please email me back. Thank you.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Lotus,
I just changed my ingredients to include the 10gm of the konnyaku jelly powder.

HoneycombAvenue said...

Hello!
I just tried making a plain konnyaku jelly and I found that there Was water seepage after it set in the fridge. Did I do something wrong? It set but there is around 1 tablespoon of liquid sitting on the bottom of the plate. Appreciate any advice . Thank you.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Honeycomb,
Sorry for the late reply and yes it is completely normal. Mine did the same too when put in the fridge overnight. Just pour the liquid off would do. :)