Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cost Saving Dinner



With the high gas prices these days, home cook dinner is the way to safe. Due to the hike in gasoline, the grocery we buy at the store is more expensive too. Cooking dinner at home can be easy and it doesn't need to be TV dinner or frozen pizza. Just throw a Tilapia fish fillet (about $0.65 each, $2.50 a pound at WalMart frozen seafood section) in 450'F oven for 10 minutes and you get yourself a delicious dinner. For us, I prepared a simple eggs fried rice to go with it. Another suggestion is, you can make some instant white rice with mango salsa to go with the fish too.

For preparing this fish, I just lined the baking pan with a piece of aluminum foil so that after we done eating, I just threw away the foil. No washing necessary. First, I sprayed the fish with cooking spray. Then, I seasoned the top of the fish fillet with Bay seasoning, a little mixed peppers and lastly some homemade bread crumbs (yup just the top). Then it went into
preheated 450'F oven for 10 minutes. Viola, you have yourself a healthy, cheap, delicious, fast and easy dinner.

9 comments:

Sweet Jasmine said...

Now everybody seems to be cooking at home more..me too... but to make my boys eat fish, I have to be creative...will be posting up my latest creativity soon.

This oven bake version is healthy too but electicity here cost more now.

ICook4Fun said...

That is how I like to cook my fish. Just stick it in the broiler and it's done in 10 min :)

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing... we all need to give our share at this very hard time...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sweet Jasmine, yes trying to save cost. I still like to have my weekend off though, so we pick the cheaper restaurant to eat and do "takeaway"/"to go" for dinner.

Gert, me too! And no plate to wash after that too! ;)

You're welcome mikky and thanks for dropping by.

Big Boys Oven said...

things are getting so expensive this days! hmmmm . . .

tigerfish said...

I like your way of cooking! Hahhaha...you know...the Al foil = less one plate to wash...I've been using it many times :P

Ling's Passion said...

What a great idea. Will add this to my list of quick meal. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds so yummy and a bonus if it is easy on the wallet! Love the blog!

Little Corner of Mine said...

BBOven, yes lor, heard that butter is costing a bomb there.

Tigerfish, hehehe...me too!

You're welcome Ling. Hope you like it!

Thanks bakingblonde! :)