Saturday, November 19, 2011

Stir Fried Pumpkin with Dried Anchovies (干尾鱼炒南瓜)


I love stir fried pumpkin but I am also not someone who would cook the same dish over and over.  I need variation!  So I thought instead of dried shrimps and eggs, it should go well with dried anchovies and chili and I was not disappointed.  I still keep the fish sauce with this dish though because to me pairing of pumpkin and fish sauce is a winner.  So, don't go substitute the fish sauce with soy sauce, it might ruin the dish.

Pumpkin has many health benefits, it has anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidant, low in calories, high in fiber, high in carotenoid which help protect your vision, improve joint health and protect against lung and prostate cancers.  And don't forget to save your pumpkin seeds and roast it yourself, it's packed with nutrients too.

Tired of pumpkin soup?  Roasted pumpkin?  Give this stir-frying a try!


Ingredients:

  • 300g pumpkin flesh, thinly slice
  • 1/4 cup dried anchovies, rinse
  • 2 cloves of garlic, thinly slice
  • 1 long green chili, or 2-3 Thai bird-eye chilies, thinly slice
  • Fish sauce to taste, about 1 Tbsp.
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add in cooking oil of your choice.  When hot, add in dried anchovies.  Stir-fry until crispy.  Add in chili and garlic, stir-fry until fragrant.  

2.  Add in pumpkin and stir-fry well.  Season to taste with fish sauce and stir well to mix.  Add in sugar and mix well.

3.  You can add a little water if you like.  I didn't so that my anchovies would stay crispy.  Stir-fry until the pumpkin is cooked through.  It would change color.  Serve hot!

8 comments:

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

wow have never thought of stir-frying pumpkin before! Great idea :)

Cooking Gallery said...

I have never had something like this, but it looks so intriguing (in a positive way!), I'd love to try it...!!

mr. pineapple man said...

Wish I could try it!

Nava K said...

This is new to me though I have used pumpkin for cakes and muffins. My mum used to stir fry pumpkin with chillies and curry powder and leaves.

I like this so much, am going to give this a try sometime next week.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I never thought to stir fry pumpkin, but it's brilliant!

mycookinghut said...

I have never tried pumpkin with dried anchovies!! Looks yummy!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

never cook this way before, sound nice.

tigerfish said...

Yes, I know stir-frying is delicious for winter squashes cos I have also done that! Last time I tried a little soy sauce before...it worked!