I saw a green bean and barley Chinese sweet dessert soup on Facebook not too long ago and thought what a great idea as I have never try adding barley into my green bean soup. Since I have some barley at home so I set up to give this combination a try. I also added sago pearls just because my girls and I loved sago a lot.
What a surprise and we really loved it as barley added some chewy bite into the mix and it was so delicious. Since both barley and green bean are cooling food, it is good if someone in your family is coughing or has heaty body.
Keep the leftover in the refrigerator and just eat it cold. Enjoy!
1 cup green beans
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup small sago
Rock sugar to taste
1/2 cup coconut cream/ thick coconut milk
1. In a large pot, add in slightly more than half of the water. Turn heat to high and let it boil.
2. Rinse barley and green bean, set aside.
3. In another smaller pot, add in more than half of the water and let it boil. When boiling, add in sago and turn the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes, turn off heat, cover and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then pour into a large sieve and rinse with cold water, set aside.
4. When the large pot water is boiling, add in the green bean and barley. Turn the heat to medium and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the green bean and barley are soften.
5. Season to taste with rock sugar. Add in the sago, mix well. Turn off heat and lastly add in the coconut cream. Stir to mix well and serve hot, warm or cold. Enjoy!
~Serves about 10 people since its a big pot!