Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake


I wanted to buy some cocoa powder but some how when I was in the supermarket, it just slip my mind.  So, I had to pen it down and reminded both of my girls to remind me to buy some cocoa powder when we are in the supermarket again.  I wanted to buy some Talentie's gelato that was on sale in Albertson so I told my girls, lets go look for the cocoa powder.  The Everyday Essential brand of cocoa powder was on clearance for $1.72 and the original price is only $1.99! I was like no way, why is it so cheap compared to Hershey's brand??  I checked the ingredient list and it said 100% cocoa powder.  Checked the ingredient list on Hershey's and it said cocoa powder.  So, I grabbed the last two cocoa powders that were on clearance.  Didn't know I had been paying so much extra for cocoa powder until now.  Now I know where I would go for cocoa powder when I am out again!

I loved this cream cheese pound cake recipe and wanted to create a chocolate version out of it and here it is!  This pound cake is not very sweet, I would say mild in sweetness as I reduce the sweetness in this.  If you like a sweet cake just use 2 cups of sugar.   This cake is a must-try because oh it's so good!






Ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar  (use 2 cups of sugar for sweeter cake)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract4 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 325'F. Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and extract until well blended. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. 

2. Add in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and beat at low speed until incorporated.

3. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 5 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

4. Let sit in pan for 5-10 minutes before inverting it over.  The cake should fall down on its own. Let cool completely on wire rack.


1 comment:

tigerfish said...

That actually happened to me before - forgetting what I have planned to get in the grocery stores. Then I had to pen it down but sometimes I just don't take the "list" out from my bag when my hands are kinda full during grocery shopping.

Good that you found a value-for-money product. Next time I have to look out for those as well.