Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Whole Wheat Chia Banana Muffins


Just like the name implied, I modified my original banana recipe to make it 100% whole wheat with chia seeds.  Next time I would add additional 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseeds into the mixture instead of using it as topping.  By adding the whole wheat and flaxseed cereal, it would be crispy when it was warm out of the oven but it would turn soft later.  So, if you would like to eat it right away or on the day it was baked, then it would be a good idea, if not, just omit it and add the ground flaxseeds into the mixture before baking (I added it in the recipe for your convenient).

This muffin is soft and not very sweet (just nice for Asian taste bud).  I purposely cutting down on the sugar to make it healthier.  I hope you like it!


After baking

Ingredients:

(A)
1 large cage free brown egg
2 thaw frozen bananas, smashed
1/4 cup peanut oil/ coconut oil/melted butter (or oil of your choice)
1/4 cup organic whole milk
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. pure cane sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

(B)
1 cup stone ground 100% organic whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds 

Optional Topping: Uncle Sam original whole wheat and flaxseed cereal

 Before baking

Method:

1.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  Prepare the paper cups on a baking sheet.  It yields 10 muffins with the paper cups that I used.

2.  In a large glass bowl.  Add in (A) according to list and whisk with a hand whisk before each addition.  Then, add the dry ingredients (B).  Whisk until combined.

3.  Scoop with a cookie scoop into each paper cups until 3/4 full.  Top with topping if using.

4.  Bake for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.

7 comments:

daphne said...

I have always wanted more ideas with chia seeds- muffins are a great idea.

Noob Cook said...

lol I like the despicable me prop. The muffins look healthy & delicious.

Mary said...

They look great, where did you ever find those baking cups?

We have friends coming over this weekend, and this will be my new recipe!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Daphne, you can add some chia seeds to your rice/yogurt/oatmeal/cereal before consuming. I add it to my rice, the easiest way to eat more chia seeds. ;)

Thanks noobcook. I liked that the minion is holding a banana too. :)

Hi Mary,
I bought those cups in Asia. You can find it at TJMaxx also or look for it online.

PH said...

I love banana muffins and always prefer less sweet. I must try your recipe as all the ingredients are very healthy stuff :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

your muffin is very healthy, eat more also no burden to our body.

tigerfish said...

I like the added crunch from the cereal topping.