Bibim naengmyun or Korean mixed spicy cold noodle is so economical to cook at home. Furthermore, we can add whatever ingredients we like. The one sold in the restaurant mostly has cucumber, radish and boiled egg and they charge $9 for a bowl. I would rather spend my $9 on some chicken/meat and side dishes. A plus is this cold noodle dish is so easy to make and I calculated the cost to be less than $6 for 2 bowls.
If you have a craving for spicy mixed cold noodle, why not make it yourself? One thing though, you got to be able to take the heat, as this is a SPICY noodle dish. Those that cannot take spicy food, can try the naengmyeon, is a cold noodle dish serves in cold radish kimchi broth or clear beef broth (with crushed ice), suitable for hot summer days.
~Serves 2 adults
3 bundles buckwheat noodles
1/2 cucumber, peeled and julienne
1/2 carrot, julienne
3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 imitation crab meat, thinly sliced
1 sheet of dried seaweed, use a scissor to cut thinly
Some pickled radish and carrot (not shown)
2 hard boiled brown eggs, halved
3 Tbsp. gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 Tbsp. hot water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. thinly chopped green onion
Dash of white pepper
1. Prepare and slice all the ingredients.
2. Heat up a non-stick pan, add a little oil and pan-fry the carrot for a little while, dish out and set aside. In the same pan, add in the mushrooms. Pan-fry without adding any oil until the mushrooms soften and juices come out, season with a little soy sauce. Dish out and set aside.
3. Prepare the spicy sauce in a bowl. Mix all the ingredients together to make a thick sauce.
4. Boil the buckwheat noodle per package instruction. Set aside.
5. In a serving bowl, add in some noodle, arrange the cucumber, carrot, mushroom, imitation crab meat, pickled radish and carrot (not shown), seaweed, boiled egg around the noodle. Add the spicy sauce in the middle to serve. Mix well and enjoy!