Friday, February 22, 2013

Orange Marmalade


You all know how much I adored the mandarin/ clementine marmalade, but for some reasons the cuties clementines were not on sales at this time of the year unlike previous years.  What is on sales is the California navel oranges, so this year my house is fulled of navel oranges instead of clementines. 

This marmalade had everything in it including the juice, pulp and zest so it looked more like apple sauce.  The color was off as I burnt some at the bottom of my pot.  It would be brighter orange in color instead of this darker color as I didn't even know I burnt the bottom, so when I stir the marmalade, the burnt bit got mixed in resulted in darker color (hence, I put a warning at method below) .  Anyway, I managed to savage about 3.5 bottles before throwing away the burnt part.

It's hard to ask a woman not to multitasking right?  I was multitasking at that time and thus the result.


This picture was taken when the marmalade was still warm.

Ingredients:
  • 8 sweet California navel oranges (about 4 pounds +/-)
  • 2 cups granulated cane sugar
  • Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 Tbsp.)

 
Method:

1.  First wash all the oranges.  Then, use a zester/peeler (like picture shown above) to peel strips from all the oranges.  Place strips in a bowl.  Set aside.

2.  Then, peel all the oranges and separate in wedges.  Place half into a food processor and process until fine.  Pour it into a prepared large pot.  Finish process the other half and add it into the pot.

3.  Turn the heat to high and let it boil.  When boiling, turn the heat to simmer.  Add in the zest and lemon juice and let it simmer for about an hour.  Stir once in a while.

4.  After an hour, keep stirring at this time to prevent burning at the bottom of the pot.  When it reaches the jam like consistency, it's done.  Should be within 5-10 minutes.  Scoop the marmalade into the prepared glass bottles, seal it and let cool at room temperature before refrigerating.  Should yield about 3-4 bottles as I burnt some away.

Note:  You can also strain the oranges with a cheese cloth in step 2 and only use the juice with less pulps before adding the zest and lemon juice for a clearer jam like marmalade.

4 comments:

Belinda said...

How lovely to have fresh marmalade like this! I have to say the clementines haven't been as sweet or juicy this year.

Ling's Passion said...

I love marmalade, too. And yours looks yummy.

PH said...

Marmalade with hot toast with butter is simply yum. With your homemade marmalade it is even better!

Unknown said...

Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast & easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you could check it out because I'm just starting out! Thanks!