My variation of topokki. Kimchi Topokki!! I figured the intense flavor of kimchi would give the basic spicy topokki a boost and I was right. I actually liked this version better as I found the flavor was more well rounded. This makes a great meatless meal too.
Feel free to adjust the thickness of your sauce as I think mine was a bit too dry. I think it would taste better with a little more sauce. Happy experimenting and whoever try this, please feedback to me ya!
- 1 lb of topokki (rice cake sticks), wash in cold water and drain.
- 2 pieces of rice cakes, slice into rectangle pieces
- 1/2 carrot, cut
- 1 scallion, slice into 1-inch length
- 300ml anchovy stock
- 3/4 cup cut kimchi,
- 2 Tbsp. gochujang (hot pepper paste)
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. cane sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. mirin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: Chopped scallion and toasted sesame seeds.
1. To make the anchovy stock: 300ml hot water + 1 tsp. anchovy granules. If you don't have the anchovy granules, boil 1/4 cup of dried anchovies in 300ml water for 10 minutes.
2. In a flying pan, add in the anchovy stock, gochujang and sugar and let it boil. When boiling, add in the rice cake sticks and carrot. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer, stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the rice cakes, kimchi, scallion, ketchup and mirin. Keep stirring until the rice cake is cooked through or soft. Taste one to check for doneness. Add more water if needed. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Serve on a plate and garnish with scallion and sesame seeds.