Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sweet and Sour Salmon Fish


This is a remake recipe of my recipe here.  While trying to think of a different way to serve my salmon, I remembered I once cooked a sweet and sour sauce that I liked.  When I went to look for the recipe, alas!  it was without any measurement!!  Now I know it must be hard for beginner to create a sauce based on the ingredients listed.  So, I wrote it down for you and also for myself (convenient) and my girls (they won't know how much soy sauce to add or how much sugar or vinegar to put, etc. to create a sweet and sour sauce!).  Anyway, I measured the amount, pen it down and tried it myself and we all loved it, it turned out delicious so I shared it here with my readers.

Believe it or not, I frequently came to my own blog to look for my old recipes that I have forgotten (old age?).  I have created lots of recipes over the years and I am actually glad that I documented them in this blog which I can always come back and refer to, even when I am in another country or someone else kitchen. 



Ingredients:

  • 3 salmon fillets with skin
  • 1/4 onion, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
  • 2 celery, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 carrot, cut into small pieces

Sauce:
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. hot water
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. ketchup
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1" ginger, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 scallions, chopped and use only the white bottom part

Garnish with cilantro

Method:

1.  Wash all the vegetable before cutting into smaller pieces, set aside.  

2.  Add all of the sauce ingredients into a bowl.  Add the hot water and brown sugar first and try to dissolve it by stirring before adding the rest of the ingredients.  Mix well.  Set aside.

3.  Pan-fry the salmon fillets until cooked.  Cover to speed up the cooking time.  Set aside on a plate.

4.  In the same wok, add more oil if needed.  Add onion, stir-fry for a little while.  Add celery and carrot, stir-fry for a little while.  Then, add in red bell pepper, stir-fry and mix well.  Add the prepared sauce ingredients.  Mix well and pour on top of the fish fillets (the sauce will thicken).  Garnish with cilantro.

6 comments:

tigerfish said...

Your sweet and sour salmon has lots of ingredients. I like it. When I made sweet and sour salmon the last time, I used onions, tomatoes, soy sauce, and a litte brown sugar. I never really measure exactly the ingredients of the recipes posted in my blog. :O ...they are mostly based on estimation. Cos' usually just add seasoning, taste, then adjust. lol

daphne said...

I'm like you!! I refer to what i make before too! Sometimes, I surprise myself. haha.

I love how you tweak this recipe. The sauce looks superb!And i think sweet and sour goes well with seafood.. Another winner.

WokandSpoon said...

It's a great idea to document all your recipes. I tend to 'make a lot of things up' and then can never make it exactly the same again. My sweet and sour sauces always taste different every time! I tend to use the 'Tigerfish' method as well. I need to write the measurements down as well. Good job!

Chris said...

I know what you mean. I always refer to my own blog for old recipes as well. :D The fish looks delicious!

PH said...

I like your sauce ingredients very much. I can borrow it for my other dishes :) This sweet and sour salmon gets the thumbs up!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Nice twist of replace salmon with meat for sweet and sour dish, sound healthy too .