Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stir-Fried Chili Sweet Potatoes


While shopping at my Asian market recently, I spotted a white flesh sweet potatoes.  It interested me because frankly I don't think I have eaten this before.  So, I bought 4 to try.  I used one to cook with my brown rice but I didn't really like it as it was not as sweet as the orange and purple ones.  So, I had to find another way of cooking it.  Since it's white, it resembled potato a lot, so I julienned it thinly and cooked it like people would do with potatoes.

Not bad I would say but a bit spicy with the dried chili pepper as I was suffering from sore throat so the chili pepper was a bad idea.  If not, it would be good with rice.  It's a bit crunchy.

White flesh sweet potatoes



Ingredients:

  • 3 white flesh sweet potatoes, thinly julienned
  • 6 dried chili peppers, soak in warm water to soften
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. Dark soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Sesame oil
  • Dashes of white pepper
  • Cooking oil of your choice

Method:

1.  In a heated wok, add in some cooking oil.  When heated, add in minced garlic, stir-fry until fragrant and slightly brown.  Add in chili peppers, stir it a bit.

2.  Add in julienned sweet potatoes.  Stir-fry and mix well.  Cook until the sweet potatoes change in color.

3.  Add in the soy sauce, dark soy sauce and brown sugar.  Stir-fry and mix well.

4.  Turn off heat, add in sesame oil and white pepper, stir well and serve hot.

10 comments:

Michele B said...

I've never seen these either but now I'll be looking for them to make this recipe. Buzzed~

tigerfish said...

Yes the final dish looks like potato stir-fry - 酸辣土豆丝 that is quite common Chinese cuisine.

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a great potato dish! My kind of dish.

WokandSpoon said...

I've never tried stir frying sweet potatoes. Never knew that they changed colour. The dish almost looks like stir fried shredded cabbage!

Nava K said...

This is a unique recipe because sweet potatoes for me is mostly for desserts.

I am drooling as the chilies and the thinly match stick size potatoes looks very interesting. Ah! I am certainly discovering new invention and recipes and this is one of it.

daphne said...

yum!! I rarely eat potatoes anymore but this did intrigue me! I bet i can do the same with other veges though!

recipes said...

this is just my kind of.

Jin Hooi said...

Yum !! What a great way of using sweet potatoes!! I must give this a go!!

Stuart said...

That looks delicious. Do you think it'd work with "regular" sweet potatoes? Why am I asking? I'll give it a go and report back my findings!

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think this is potato is actually a fruit..meant to be eaten raw. Not cooked. That's probably why it didn't taste too good cooked. haha